Banned Flanagan to take up role with Salford

IAN LAYBOURN
Last updated 03:51 10/04/2014
Shane Flanagan
SASHA WOOLLEY/Fairfax Australia
READY TO RETURN: Shane Flanagan is is eligible to apply to the NRL for approval to resume his role as head coach of the Sharks on September 17.

Relevant offers

League

Kiwis star Kieran Foran sends thank you text after prescription drug overdose Manu Vatuvei out and about again - this time on his day off with his daughter When the Warriors are crewed by drunken sailors, it's time to abandon ship Konrad Hurrell shares message hinting faith is lost in Warriors coach Andrew McFadden 'Selfless' NRL star James Roberts left partner in labour for Broncos game New Zealand Warriors players contractually obliged to behave Warriors in turmoil as stars stood down after night on the town Five Warriors off-field indiscretions Warriors coach Andrew McFadden must go after week of double disasters Rabbitohs fan boo their own as Sydney NRL club beaten by Wests Tigers

English Super League club Salford says it expects banned Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan to arrive next week to take up a three-month consultancy role with the club.

The club's chief executive Martin Vickers also said on Wednesday that Salford are hoping to create a partnership with the Sharks.

Flanagan is currently serving a one-year, NRL-imposed ban over governance issues surrounding the club's controversial 2011 supplements program.

Last week he re-signed at Cronulla for three years, keeping him at the Sharks until 2017.

Meanwhile, controversial Salford owner Marwan Koukash has given former England coach Brian Noble 48 hours to accept his offer to become the Red Devils' director of football.

Noble has made way as head coach for Iestyn Harris but has been offered an alternative role and has until Friday to give his answer.

"I want to make it clear that Brian has not been sacked," Koukash told a news conference.

"He's been moved from one part of the organisation to another.

"It's a genuine offer and it's up to Brian whether he wants to accept the job. If he doesn't - and I can't wait forever - there are other candidates I want to speak to. I will bring somebody else in to help us build a club."

Harris has been given a contract to the end of 2016.

"I'm obviously really excited about the opportunity to be here at Salford," Harris said.

"There are some challenges ahead which I'm looking forward to. The players been really responsive to some of my philosophies and visions and they've and trained exceptionally hard."

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your pick for international league player of the year?

Shaun Johnson

Jesse Bromwich

Sam Burgess

James Graham

Greg Inglis

Johnathan Thurston

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content