Formula One championship leader Nico Rosberg claimed pole position for the British Grand Prix, surpassing Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton on the last lap of a shock-filled and rain-hit qualifying session Saturday.
The German secured pole by persevering on his final lap in drying conditions as Hamilton - who had the fastest time up to that point - aborted his lap and pulled into the pits. The Briton qualified a disappointing sixth for his home race.
Defending four-time champion Sebastian Vettel qualified second for Red Bull and McLaren's Jenson Button a surprising third.
Both Ferraris and both Williams were eliminated in the opening Q1 session and will start near the back of the grid.
Starting grid from the Formula One British Grand Prix at Silverstone Circuit on Sunday (local time).
1. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault
3. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren
4. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes
5. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) McLaren
6. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes
7. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes
8. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) RedBull - Renault
9. Daniil Kvyat (Russia) Toro Rosso - Renault
10. Jean-Eric Vergne (France) Toro Rosso - Renault
11. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Renault
12. Jules Bianchi (France) Marussia - Ferrari
14. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Sauber - Ferrari
15. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Lotus - Renault
15. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams-Mercedes
16. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams-Mercedes
17. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari
18. Max Chilton (Britain) Marussia - Ferrari
19. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari
20. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Caterham - Renault
21. Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico) Sauber - Ferrari
22. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) Caterham - Renault
Who is your favourite V8 Supercars driver?Related story: (See story)