Ecclestone bribery case closed after payment
A German court says Bernie Ecclestone has made the US$100 million payment he agreed to last week, meaning the bribery case against the Formula One boss is formally closed.
The Munich state court on August 5 approved an agreement between Ecclestone's lawyers and prosecutors to end the trial.
It gave the 83-year-old Englishman a week to pay the money - US$99 million of which goes to the state and the remaining US$1 million to a German organisation that helps terminally ill children.
The court said on Wednesday (local time) that the payment was made on time.
Ecclestone faced charges of bribery and incitement to breach of trust over a payment to a German banker in charge of selling a stake in F1 in 2005. Ecclestone denied wrongdoing.