Webber not concerned about Vettel appeal

DAVID BENIUK
Last updated 18:16 29/11/2012
Sebastian VetteL
Getty Images
NUMBER ONE: Sebastian Vettel celebrates winning his third Formula One championship.

Relevant offers

Motorsport

Truck racer Dave West returns to Teretonga Park 12 months after horror crash Riverton driver Ethan Anderson taking on Formula Ford challenge Invercargill driver Brendon Leitch reflects on his early days at Teretonga Park Intrigue amongst the Toyota Racing Series drivers who will compete at Teretonga Park Shane van Gisbergen's car for V8 Supercar title defence unveiled $6.2-billion sale of Formula 1 approved by FIA World Motor Sport Council New Zealand's Hayden Paddon off the pace in WRC test stage in Monte Carlo Peter Lampp: It's no certainty the mighty Quinn will get his hands on the NZ grand prix Meaner WRC machines require more "brave pills" for Hayden Paddon ahead of slippery season-opener Southland's Liam MacDonald hopes to continue hot streak in NZ Touring Car Championship on home track at Teretonga Park

Australian Red Bull driver Mark Webber has brushed aside concerns teammate and Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel could be stripped of his title.

Ferrari are considering an appeal against an over-taking manoeuvre by Vettel during Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix, where the German finished sixth to clinch his third straight title, UK media have reported.

YouTube footage reportedly shows Vettel passing Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne under yellow flags in the early laps of the race at Interlagos.

Webber only heard the reports shortly before fronting media near Ben Lomond in northern Tasmania, where he has headed via the UK for his annual charity wilderness race.

"I think it's unlikely (an appeal will succeed)," he told reporters.

"I think the race is won. It's all over.

"I think everything should be all right."

Webber said he had been aware of a possible yellow flag infringement "that might look close" coming out of the race 24 hours after it ended.

But asked if his team, which celebrated in the UK after Vettel became the youngest driver to win three consecutive titles, would be concerned he said: "I don't think so."

Overtaking under caution is outlawed and is usually punished with a drive-through penalty.

In cases where the infringement is not spotted, the reports said, a 20-second penalty can be handed out retrospectively.

Vettel's placing in the season-ending race allowed him to clinch the title ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso by just three points.

Ferrari have already claimed Alonso should have been crowned world champion following controversies in Belgium and Japan.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who is your favourite V8 Supercars driver?

Scott McLaughlin

Shane Van Gisbergen

Fabian Coulthard

Jamie Whincup

Mark Winterbottom

Craig Lowndes

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Blog