Felipe Massa to have first drive in new Ferrari

ALAN BALDWIN
Last updated 11:55 25/01/2013

Relevant offers

Motorsport

Kiwi tastes victory at UK classic car race meet Inky Tulloch’s Camaro bound to draw crowd Smoky haze an issue before Singapore F1 race Ecclestone backs F1 clampdown on team radio Nascar star Tony Stewart may yet face charges Kennard enjoys life riding shotgun with Paddon Marcos Ambrose sets sights on Bathurst win Valentino Rossi wins San Marino Grand Prix Greg Murphy pushes forward to second place Hayden Paddon finishes 6th in Australian leg

Brazilian Felipe Massa will be the first to drive Ferrari's 2013 Formula One car with last year's championship runner-up Fernando Alonso having to wait until February 19, the Italian team said today.

Ferrari said on their website (www.ferrari.com) that Massa, whose place at the team was uncertain for much of last year before he secured a one-year extension, would be in the car at the first pre-season test in Jerez from February 5-7.

Spanish development driver Pedro De la Rosa, who raced for the now-departed HRT team last year and will carry out much of the simulator work this year, will take over for his Ferrari debut on the remaining day.

Alonso, Spain's double world champion who took the title battle down to the wire last year before losing out to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel, will have his turn in Barcelona at the second of three pre-season tests.

He will test for three of the four days with Massa having the final one. They will then alternate in the final test in Barcelona from February 28 to March 3.

The new Ferrari is due to be unveiled at the team's Maranello factory on February 1.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Which is your favourite Formula One circuit?

Melbourne

Monte Carlo

Silverstone

Singapore

Sao Paulo

San Marino

Nurburgring

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Blog