Pyeongchang Winter Olympics boss resigns

Last updated 11:48 22/07/2014
Kim Jin-sun
Reuters
RESIGNED: Former head of the 2018 Winter Olympics organising committee Kim Jin-sun.

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Let me fight in Sydney, pleads Mark Hunt Burling and Tuke sail to gold in Spain Kiwis defend world surf lifesaving title in France Luuka Jones rues mistake in 10th place finish Sergent and Buchanan best of the Kiwi riders Hewitt medals at ITU long distance worlds Junior cyclist Kergozou has the recipe for success NZ track squad building well for new season Richar Abril retains WBA lightweight title Derek Jeter nears the end of Yankees career

The head of the organising committee for the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang has resigned, saying new leadership and a ''stronger system'' is needed to complete preparations for the games.

Former provincial governor Kim Jin-sun was elected president of the organising committee in late 2011 after Pyeongchang won the right to host the first Winter Olympics in South Korea. He was re-elected last year for another two-year term.  

''PyeongChang 2018 is at a turning point for the latter half of its games preparation, which requires more detailed planning and execution,'' Kim said Monday, according to a committee statement.

''At this critical juncture, I believe that PyeongChang 2018 needs new leadership and a stronger system that will effectively carry out various games-related projects,'' he said.

The organising committee did not comment on the process for replacing Kim or his likely successor.

Kim, former governor of the eastern Gangwon province which included Pyeongchang, led the South Korean town's two unsuccessful bids for the 2010 and 2014 Olympics.  

In 2010, he stepped down as governor and had since served as an ambassador to Pyeonchang's bid committee for the 2018 games.  

Kim's tenure was to officially end in October 2015 and it was not known what exactly caused his early departure.

International Olympic Committee officials who visited Pyeongchang recently expressed no major concerns about preparations for 2018.

Gunilla Lindberg, who led the IOC coordination commission on a three-day inspection visit, said a large amount of work had been achieved since the panel's previous visit in June last year.   

''The 2018 games are on the right track, but it is clear that much work remains,'' Lindberg said.

''With only four years to go until the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic Winter Games begin, it was important for the commission to be able to survey the progress being made on the different venues. We are pleased to see that work on key sites like the sliding center and coastal Olympic Village has begun.''  

IOC President Thomas Bach visited Pyeongchang earlier this month and downplayed concerns about tight construction schedules.

''It is not new that when it comes to the organisation of games that, in one or the other project, there are some delays in comparison to the previous plans, so there's no reason right now to become nervous,'' Bach said.

Ad Feedback

He said the IOC remained confident that Pyeongchang could organise ''excellent'' games.  

The IOC thanked Kim on Monday for ''his hard work and excellent commitment'' to the organizing committee, known as POCOG.

''We held our last project review meeting with POCOG at the end of June and developed with them a clear roadmap of activities until the end of the year,'' the IOC said in a statement.

''We have full confidence that these activities will be delivered by the POCOG team in a timely manner and using their existing processes. We continue to work closely with them on their preparations for the games.''

- AP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Oscar Pistorius be allowed to compete again?

Absolutely. Running is his job.

Only if he receives a suspended sentence.

No way. His days as a runner are over.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content