Million dollar ride 'could change life, or end it'

Last updated 13:53 01/08/2014
The Munga
Reuters

DEADLY TERRAIN: A mountain bike rider follows a trail in the Jonkershoek Valley in South Africa in the area where a gruelling race is due to run in December.

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Ricardo Christie has tough World Surf League championship tour start UCI calls for Lance Armstrong's former Astana team to be stripped of elite status No chance of reconciliation between Team NZ boss Grant Dalton and Dean Barker Dean Barker not ready to give up sailing but admits he and Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton aren't 'mates' Jason Pettaway's chance meeting with Muhammad Ali led him to career in ring New Zealand water polo star Joseph Kayes set to represent Australia at Rio Olympics Jake Robertson sets pace with broken wrist Nick Willis wins feature 5000m race at Auckland Track Challenge Black Sox pitchers Nik Hayes and Heinie Shannon withdraw from trial in Hamilton Kiwi heavyweight Kali Meehan keen on fight with domestic rival Joseph Parker

Mountain bikers tempted by the US$1 million (NZ$1.17m) in prize money up for grabs in a new South African endurance race are given a warning before they sign up: ''This could change your life, or end it.''

Teams of two will have to come up with a US$10,000 (NZ$11,700) entrance fee to race on December 3 in The Munga - a gruelling unassisted 1000km ride across South Africa's semi-arid Karoo desert region at the height of summer.

But the pair that crossed the finish line first in the southern Cape wine-country hills of Stellenbosch would collect US$750,000 (NZ$882,000), dwarfing the sum shared by the winning Tour de France team.

The challenge of mountain biking almost non-stop across the desert with barely any food or sleep ranked The Munga among the world's most punishing endurance events.

But it was the cash that made the race stand out.

''I've observed in me and guys around me digging deep in extreme races and they were doing that for nothing more than intrinsic motivation and war stories,'' Alex Harris, the endurance athlete and explorer behind the event, said.

''I am convinced the money and format will make people dig deeper than ever before, hence the 'toughest race on earth','' added Harris who, as well as being a multiple national track cycling champion, has walked unsupported to the South Pole and climbed Mount Everest.

Harris said 20 per cent of the entrants would be experienced or professional cyclists with a chance of victory, while the remaining 80 per cent would be amateur adventurers who just wanted to finish the race within the five-day cut-off time.

Riders would have to successfully mix strategy and psychology, choosing when to catch a couple of hours sleep or stop to eat while all the time keeping an eye on the mental and physical state of their team-mate.

''Two things will happen as the race gets to the business end - one, there is the psychological stress that eats away at you and, secondly, your body starts to break down,'' Harris said.

''You start to get 'sleep monsters' and they come on at any time, night or day. This force pulls down on your eyelids and you just want to roll up in a ball and fall into a deep sleep.

''If that happens when you're on a bike, you're in trouble.''

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Shane Cameron beat Kali Meehan on Saturday?

For sure. Cameron will knock him out.

It will be close but I think Cameron on points.

Meehan will knock him out. This is his last fight.

I'm tipping Meehan to win on points.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content