Monte Barrett abstaining before big fight

LIAM NAPIER
Last updated 13:34 27/06/2012
Monte Barrett
Michael Bradley
SERIOUS BUSINESS: Monte Barrett says he has abstained from sex as part of his preparation for his fight against Shane Cameron.

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Beer company pressures NFL over abuse cases Boxing novice Snedden in Parker's corner Peter Burling and Blair Tuke show class in Spain Olympics tickets made 'as affordable as possible' Snedden embarks on exciting new challenge College footballer's 'sudden death' unnoticed Olympic champion critical of 49er restructure NFL reeling from more domestic violence cases Nude-looking cycling uniforms 'unacceptable' Oscar Pistorius free to compete for South Africa

American boxer Monte Barrett is sticking to his successful methods, again abstaining from sex to prepare for his heavyweight brawl with Kiwi challenger Shane Cameron.

Barrett, who arrived in Auckland last Sunday ahead of his anticipated clash with Cameron at Sky City next week, revealed his training regime included going without intimacy for the last five weeks.

The theory?

Apparently "women weaken legs" and it would give Barrett "more juice".

The experienced New York title-holder, in his third visit to New Zealand, went to the same extreme lengths when he sent David Tua into retirement with a unanimous point's victory in August last year.

However, unlike Telecom's failed abstinence campaign fronted by former All Blacks captain Sean Fitzpatrick during the Rugby World Cup, Barrett and his wife are, wisely, not asking others to take a similar approach to show their support.    

Barrett rediscovered the ploy late in his career while watching the infamous Rocky Balboa movies. According to Rocky's trainer, Mickey Goldman, abstaining from sex was necessary build-up.

"I got away from that, but I started watching Rocky again and his trainer Mickey used to say 'Rocky, women weaken legs'. That's true so I've been getting back to that regiment. As you can see I have strong legs now," the 41-year-old told Fairfax Media today.
   
"I'm doing the same thing for this fight. I had to. It's been five weeks so far. It will be six weeks by the time the fight comes. I did the same before fighting David Tua.

"It's something I've done later in my career. It's about having more discipline. It has brought out my best performances in the past.

"It gives me more juice."

Cameron (28-2) has taken a different route in his preparation. He spent the last two-and-a-half weeks sparring with former British heavyweight champion David Haye, who takes on Dereck Chisora next month, in London and only arrives home this week.

The 34-year-old Kiwi could have the speed advantage over the aging Barrett but may be fatigued from his exhausting venture to the other side of the globe. Most boxing pundits expect Barrett (35-9-2) to kill off Cameron's quest for redemption.

"I didn't come here to eat cupcakes. I came here to bust some skulls," Barrett said. "I wouldn't be doing all my training and preparation if I was taking this lightly.

Ad Feedback

"I see a lot of weaknesses and some strengths but Cameron's cons outweigh his pros. I'm focused and ready to take Shane to school."

- Fairfax Media

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Oscar Pistorius be allowed to compete again?

Absolutely. Running is his job.

Only if he receives a suspended sentence.

No way. His days as a runner are over.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content