NZ boxer Joseph Parker to sign six-year deal

TOBY ROBSON
Last updated 05:00 30/08/2012
Joseph Parker
PETER MEECHAM/Fairfax NZ
BIG DEAL: Kiwi boxer Joseph Parker is poised to sign a lucrative six-year, six-fight-a-year contract with Duco Events.

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Sonny Bill Williams and Anthony Mundine slug it out ahead of Chauncy Welliver fight New Zealand women's crews in charge on third day of Sailing World Cup in Miami 'Punk rocker' Lance Armstrong enlisted for drug-filled Mountain Lion video Boxing NZ boss calls for calm New Zealand para-snowboarder Carl Murphy's 2015 season ended by knee injury Top track cyclists get chance to shine at national champs in Cambridge Further honours for rowing legend Sir Don Rowlands on the way Olympic track cyclist Natasha Hansen fired up for Rio 2016 Sonny Bill Williams wants to walk the walk before talking the talk with Chauncy Welliver Kiwi sailors leading the way at World Cup regatta in Miami

Kiwi boxer Joseph Parker is poised to sign a lucrative six-year, six-fight-a-year contract with Duco Events.

The 20-year-old heavyweight was flying to Samoa today for a family holiday and, when he returns, will finalise the details of the deal.

Parker's financial backer Bob Jones confirmed to The Dominion Post yesterday he had agreed in principle to a deal that would kick in next year.

"The Duco boys, and they are bloody good promoters, want a monopoly with him on Sky [TV] and I'm quite happy with that because they are good people to work with, they pay well and they're honourable," Jones said.

"They've proposed a six-year contract, which in principle I've agreed with for six bouts a year."

Parker made his professional debut in July when he easily accounted for Huntly schoolteacher Dean Garmonsway with a second-round technical knockout in Auckland.

That win took a shade over four minutes and Jones said he hoped to secure a more testing opponent for Parker's next fight, which he hoped would happen before the end of the year.

"We'll be putting him on at the Fight for Life in December . . . which gets a large audience, but we're hoping to get him a bout before that," Jones said. "After that this six-fight programme would kick in each year."

The deal would take Parker through to his mid-20s by which time, providing he continues to win, he could be a highly sought-after fighter.

Duco Events promoter Dean Lonergan said nothing had been signed, but confirmed negotiations with Parker were in the final stages.

"We have a deal in front of him . . . Joe's off to Samoa with his family tomorrow [today] and we plan to sit down when he gets back," Lonergan said. "There are no fights lined up right now, but we've got some ideas for him and we definitely want to have him involved in the Fight for Life later in the year.

"We want a long-term deal and we want what's best for Joseph and these things take time.

"I really hope Bob continues advising Joe because he's totally impartial, he's doing it because he loves it and he's one incredibly smart man.

"I'd like to think we will have something officially tied up in the next couple of weeks.

"There are two things about Joseph right now. He's got a profile and he can really fight."

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Shane Cameron beat Kali Meehan on Saturday?

For sure. Cameron will knock him out.

It will be close but I think Cameron on points.

Meehan will knock him out. This is his last fight.

I'm tipping Meehan to win on points.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content