Carlos Spencer is expected to return for this year's Fight for Life.
The former All Blacks and Blues playmaker put on a show in last year's event, knocking down former Warriors back-rower Awen Guttenbeil in the final round, only for the three-round fight to be controversially ruled a draw.
After a solid training camp, Spencer turned up in peak condition last year. He has been approached by promoters Duco Events to return to New Zealand for the popular December 15 event that pits league and rugby against each other to raise $150,000 for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
"I enjoyed the experience last time," Spencer told Fairfax Media. "The good thing was it gave me something to train for. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm pretty keen. More than likely I'll probably end up doing it. If I go back I'll stay for Christmas."
Originally from Levin, Spencer has been based in Johannesburg for three years.
The 36-year-old's potential opponent is unknown, but he was told it could be former Kiwis captain Jarrod McCracken, who has recently declared bankrupt.
McCracken played 22 tests for the Kiwis and also turned out for the Canterbury Bulldogs, Parramatta Eels, West Tigers and St Helens in England.
"He did mention Jarrod but there were a few potential names," Spencer said.
Newcastle and former New South Wales State of Origin and Australian test forward Willie Mason has already been announced as the captain of the league team.
A number of current and former All Blacks are thought to be competing for the union side.
- © Fairfax NZ News