Mundine investigated over Hunter fracas

DAN PROUDMAN
Last updated 13:05 03/10/2012

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Let me fight in Sydney, pleads Mark Hunt Kiwis defend world surf lifesaving title in France Luuka Jones rues mistake in 10th place finish Sergent and Buchanan best of the Kiwi riders Hewitt medals at ITU long distance worlds Junior cyclist Kergozou has the recipe for success NZ track squad building well for new season Richar Abril retains WBA lightweight title Derek Jeter nears the end of Yankees career Burling and Tuke capture gold at worlds

Anthony Mundine and former league journeyman Wes Patten have been caught up in a police investigation involving a scuffle in which a man's jaw was broken.

Central Hunter Police have confirmed the pair, who are cousins and were in the Hunter over the weekend for an indigenous rugby league competition, had been called to help some teenage relatives after the youngsters were involved in a fracas with several men on Sunday night.

It is believed Mundine, a former world champion boxer, played the role of a mediator after arriving at the car park late on Sunday. The drama is believed to have started after several Metford men took offence at having an object thrown at their car as they drove through the Green Hills Shopping Centre's car park about 11pm.

Police have confirmed they are investigating claims that several teenagers, including two girls, were kicked and punched in an ensuing melee before one broke free and called Mr Patten for help.

Patten, a former player for the Tigers, Chargers, Dragons and South Sydney who now commentates on rugby league on an indigenous pay television station, was in the Hunter for the Koori Knockout at Raymond Terrace and would go on to be in the winning side, the Newcastle Yowies, on Monday.

The Herald understands Patten and Mundine travelled to the car park before the Metford men were confronted about the earlier fracas.

Central Hunter duty officer Inspector Glenn Blain said police were still investigating how one of the Metford men suffered a broken jaw in another ensuing fight.

''We are talking about several separate incidents and we are attempting to piece together what has happened,'' he said. ''We will be looking at everyone's involvement as part of the investigation.''

No charges have been laid.

Ad Feedback

- Sydney Morning Herald

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Oscar Pistorius be allowed to compete again?

Absolutely. Running is his job.

Only if he receives a suspended sentence.

No way. His days as a runner are over.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content