Shane Cameron has been offered $250,000 for a rematch of the 2009 'Fight of the Century' with David Tua.
The October 2009 fight in Hamilton, in which Tua knocked out Cameron in the second round, remains the biggest promotion staged in this country.
But Tua's career has faltered since and he retired after a defeat by American veteran Monte Barrett in August 2011.
Now he's planning a June comeback and fight promoter David Higgins said he would give Cameron first option on that bout before turning to a world-ranked overseas fighter.
"I personally won't waste much time chasing Shane Cameron - I don't think he would want the fight after what happened last time," said Higgins.
"But I think he is on record saying he wouldn't mind another shot at Tua: well, I can confirm that David would take the fight in an instant if Shane is serious about wanting another opportunity.
"I won't chase it, but they know my phone number if they want it.
"[A rematch] would be big, but not as big as the first one, and we won't throw outlandish sums of money on a desperate bid to get the Cameron camp to take a fight they probably don't want.
"The ball is in their court; if they genuinely want a shot at redemption against Tua, the opportunity is sitting right here, right now, and they need to ring us and come to the table. If it is going to be acrimony, and slagging and b......., we will sign a world top-four fighter instead and stage a massive, credible show. We are comfortable either way."
But the offer met with disdain from Cameron's manager Ken Reinsfield. "This sounds like another typical low-brow Duco publicity stunt," Reinsfield said.
"How bizarre that he would be asking a journalist to phone me and make an offer. How could I take that seriously even if I were interested? It is odd and unprofessional. I am not interested in making comment on an offer brought through the media."
Cameron has rebuilt his career since fighting Tua, with six wins in seven fights, losing just once in his IBO cruiserweight world title fight to Danny Green last month.
Sources said Tua had agreed a contract with Duco that he could only fight Cameron again under their promotion.
Higgins said he began talking to Tua, who is now 40, about a comeback four months ago. Tua has fought just four times since the Fight of the Century: beating Demetrice King and Friday Ahunanya on points, and drawing and then losing to Monte Barrett in his last fight.
But Higgins said this would be a different Tua because Duco would pay for proper training and sparring. Fairfax Media understands Tua is already in weight-loss training with conditioner Lee Parore.
- Sunday Star Times
Should Oscar Pistorius be allowed to compete again?