Lance Armstrong to appear on Oprah's show

Last updated 15:07 09/01/2013

Related Links

Lance Armstrong sued over libel case WADA denies Lance Armstrong approach Report: Armstrong offered USADA donation

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Black Stick women lack ruthless streak, says Anita Punt Cyclist Eddie Dawkins to headline Canterbury Track Festival Sonny Bill Williams reflects on Frans Botha controversy ahead of planned ring return Kiwi UFC fighter Mark Hunt eyes title shot in 2015 Sonny Bill Williams set for ring return against American Chauncy Welliver Stratford to host Oceanias in 2015 Sonny Bill Williams says bout against NRL star Paul Gallen may happen next year British boxer Anthony Crolla hit over head with concrete slab after confronting raiders Taranaki to host Oceania Cup hockey tournament in 2015 Boxer Amir Khan donates $61,000 shorts to Peshawar school

Lance Armstrong has agreed to an interview with Oprah Winfrey and is to address allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs during a career in which he won seven Tour de France titles.

According to Winfrey's website on today, this will be a "no holds-barred interview." It will be the first with Armstrong since his cycling career crumbled under the weight of a massive report by the US Anti-Doping Agency. The report detailed accusations of drug use by Armstrong and teammates on his US Postal Service teams.

It's unclear if the interview at Armstrong's home in Austin, Texas, has already been taped. Nicole Nichols, a spokeswoman for Oprah Winfrey Network & Harpo Studios, declined comment. She said Armstrong has not been paid for his appearance and there are no restrictions on what's discussed.

The show will be broadcast January 17 on OWN and Oprah.com.

Armstrong has strongly denied the doping charges that led to him being stripped of his Tour de France titles, but The New York Times reported last week he has told associates he is considering acknowledging the use of performance enhancers.

The newspaper report cited anonymous sources, and Armstrong lawyer Tim Herman told The Associated Press that night he had no knowledge of Armstrong considering a confession.

Earlier, "60 Minutes Sports" reported the head of USADA told the show a representative for Armstrong offered the agency a "donation" in excess of US$150,000 several years before an investigation by the organization led to the loss of Armstrong's Tour de France titles.

In an interview for the premiere on Showtime on Wednesday night, USADA chief executive Travis Tygart said he was "stunned" when he received the offer in 2004.

"It was a clear conflict of interest for USADA," Tygart said. "We had no hesitation in rejecting that offer."

Herman denied such an offer was made.

"No truth to that story," Herman wrote in an email to the AP. "First Lance heard of it was today. He never made any such contribution or suggestion."

Tygart was traveling and did not respond to requests from the AP for comment. USADA spokeswoman Annie Skinner said Tygart's comments from the interview were accurate. In it, he reiterates what he told the AP last fall: He was surprised when federal investigators abruptly closed their two-year investigation into Armstrong and his business dealings, then refused to share any evidence they gathered.

"You'll have to ask the feds why they shut down," Tygart told the AP. "They enforce federal criminal laws. We enforce sports anti-doping violations. They're totally separate. We've done our job."

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Shane Cameron beat Kali Meehan on Saturday?

For sure. Cameron will knock him out.

It will be close but I think Cameron on points.

Meehan will knock him out. This is his last fight.

I'm tipping Meehan to win on points.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content