Fury camp attack Joseph Parker's handlers as WBO title spat gets ugly
The Fury camp are adamant their man is injured and want the WBO world title fight with Joseph Parker rescheduled for New Zealand, claiming the Kiwi promoters have been trying to switch it to England because of money issues.
Fury has pulled out of the May 6 promotion in Auckland with a back injury which has raised the suspicions of Parker's handlers Duco Events.
Duco are hoping to keep the promotion alive by setting up a voluntary defence against one of the WBO's top 15 fighters, as sanctioned by the governing body.
Hughie Fury's father and trainer Peter went on the attack in a column penned for the Mirror newspaper as the bad feeling between the two camps continues to flow.
The gloves are off and it's punch and counter-punch after the Kiwis fired some strong shots north since news of Fury's injury and withdrawal surfaced last Sunday.
"There have been comments from Parker's team suggesting we never wanted the fight in the first place, but I can reveal they came over to us a few weeks ago to try to move the fight to England. We have written evidence of us saying 'let's stop messing around and get on with May 6'," Peter Fury wrote of Duco boss David Higgins' recent visit to the UK.
"It was they who were trying to move the fight, even after preparations were already underway. The date had been set but they said they had spent too much money on the fight and that it wouldn't work in New Zealand.
"So I'm surprised that they've come out with that."
Fury turned the tables on the Parker camp, suggesting "they'd like to skip past Hughie and they're looking for any excuse not to fight him".
"We will be sending the WBO proof of the injury," Peter Fury wrote in the Mirror.
"As far as we're concerned, we'll still take the fight to New Zealand. We spent more than $30,000 on immigration lawyers both here and in New Zealand to make sure I could be in Hughie's corner - so much for us not wanting to go to New Zealand.
"We went to that effort - and I'm very grateful to the New Zealand government - and we don't want to let anyone down."
They would ask the WBO to reschedule the mandatory title fight if Parker got through his voluntary defence.
The trainer said the injury was a recurrence of an injury Hughie suffered a year ago and had flared up again during intense sparring session.
"When he's pushed against the ropes it causes wear and tear. He picked up the the injury again three weeks ago and saw a specialist about it. He tried to work through it and he's had a lot of physio but it's like having constant toothache in his back.
"We need Hughie to win the fight, it's not about turning up for a pay day, having a fight and then coming out with the excuses afterwards; I've got to look at his health and safety - as well as him being my son."
Peter Fury said Hughie simply wasn't fit to fight.
"This is Hughie's life; it's everything he's worked for and we're not going to scupper his chances of winning a world title; he has to be 100 per cent fit. I understand the public's frustrations but we've done everything we can to get him fit. It's not been enough and we have to draw the line somewhere."