Shane Cameron ready to go for Fight for Life
Boxer Shane Cameron will fight as the main event on the Fight for Life card on December 14 as he looks to again make an impact in the heavyweight division.
Cameron was to take on Australian Brad Pitt in the cruiserweight division. However, the 36-year-old has battled to keep his weight down, which has led to the fight being canned.
Cameron is now focusing on the heavyweight division, with an official announcement to be made this morning at a press conference that he has signed with promoters Duco Events.
His fight will be against a yet-to-be-named opponent on the Fight for Life card, which will headline a card that will also include rugby union and rugby league players trying their hand at boxing.
All Blacks Piri Weepu and Liam Messam have already been confirmed for the event.
For Cameron, the Fight for Life will be his first bout since November last year, when he lost an IBO world title cruiserweight fight against Danny Green in Melbourne.
Cameron, who has a 29-win/three-loss record, now wants to be back in the heavyweight division where he makes a mark. He admitted to keeping under the required 90.7kg as a crusierweight was too difficult.
"It was too tough, as much as I said I felt good. The last fight, a title fight, I had to come down to 89[kg] which is even more than the 90.7. But even the fights I had at 90.7 I never felt great.
"For me, I know what I can do in the heavyweight division, I feel a lot more comfortable there; I don't have to drop weight. I'm not the biggest heavyweight but I feel strong. I can challenge anyone and match anyone's strength no problem at all."
While his opponent for the December fight is yet to be finalised, Cameron suggested he would step back into the ring with someone credible despite a 13-month lay-off.
"We're looking for a good opponent; we're not going to fight no easy-beat because I want to make a statement back in the heavyweight division with a genuine opponent.
"Kenny [Reinsfield] along with Duco are working hard to put together a good opponent."
With him back in the heavyweight division and signing on with promoters Duco Events for the Fight for Life it now makes a Cameron-Joseph Parker showdown some time next year a real possibility.
Parker wants the fight but it will come down to whether Cameron also wants it.
Cameron said yesterday he didn't believe Parker had yet earned the right to fight him.
"Mate, Joseph's certainly a great prospect but he's probably got to earn himself the right to fight me. There's even been talk about David [Tua] fighting Joseph. David and I have been around for many years, David's had 50-odd pro fights I've had 32 and Joseph's had six.
"I'm not counting anyone out, Joseph's certainly a good prospect. But initially I'll be looking at more world ranked guys that have earned their right to fight at this level."
A Cameron-David Tua rematch has also been bandied about however if Tua is to win his next fight against Belarusian Alexander Ustinov he will probably be after a bigger fish in the world heavyweight ranks than Cameron.
Cameron said it was exciting times for New Zealand boxing having three Kiwis campaigning in the heavyweight division at the same time.
"I was talking to Kenny my manager and we were saying it was exciting times for boxing, especially for the public. When was the last time there was three heavyweights campaigning successfully? Myself and David have campaigned for a while and now having Joseph coming through the ranks is good. I'm certainly not done yet."
- The Southland Times
Who would you most like to come to your aid after a road accident?Related story: (See story)