While Kiwi boxer Shane Cameron is just days out from his first fight since he took on Danny Green in a world cruiserweight contest in November last year, as usual the prospect of Cameron-Joseph Parker showdown is never far from the conversation.
Cameron will take on American Brian Minto in Auckland on Saturday night as the main event on the Fight for Life card.
It is Cameron's first step back into the heavyweight ranks since he beat Monte Barrett in July last year as he attempts to finish his career with a flourish in the heavyweight division.
After Saturday night, if Cameron is to get the win, the talk will get even louder for all-Kiwi Parker-Cameron matchup.
"People seem to be talking about it a lot; I'm talking about the Duco team," Cameron said at Invercargill Airport yesterday during a quick visit to the city.
"They are promoting it but I'm not really interested in that fight. If I get through Brian Minto, I want to fight for a world title again as a heavyweight this time; fighting Joseph Parker ain't going to get me any closer. We'll see down the track when Joseph has had another dozen fights under his belt. It could be a worthy fight."
Parker's trainer Kevin Barry - who is training Minto for the Cameron stoush - agreed the Parker fight would not shoot Cameron up the rankings but he believes the financial purse could be too good for Cameron to turn his nose up at.
"After the Botha fight we made an offer of $550,000 to be split with most of that going to Shane, and Shane and his team came back and said 'no we want the whole $550,000', which means 'no we don't want the fight'," Barry said.
"The bad thing for them is they should have taken that fight then because the Joseph Parker that fought Botha is a totally different animal now. He's a much more accomplished fighter.
"When Shane says there's no advantage for him fighting Joseph, that's a pretty fair assessment, because Joseph's 8 and 0, but there's a lot of money on the table for that fight. There was $550,000 on the table, there's probably more now. So Shane's got to a have a look at how many fights he's got left in his career and the Parker fight's very much a business decision for Shane."
If Minto were to upset Cameron on Saturday night, the talk would switch.
It seems Minto will walk into two more fights in New Zealand in the next six months if he wins on Saturday night.
If the well-travelled and experienced Minto is to grab a win over Cameron, it seems promoters Duco Events will look to line him up on the undercard to the Joseph Parker-George Arias fight in Nelson in March before then looking at him perhaps to fight Parker in June or July.
If that was the way it panned out, it would a major setback to Cameron, who at 36 wants to make a journey up the world heavyweight ranks.
Cameron is confident he can do just that and it starts with doing the business against Minto.
"It's a fight I need to win. I'm always confident, but I'm only confident because I've done the hard yards and I believe I can beat Brian on the night. I'm sure he'll say the same thing too," Cameron said.
- The Southland Times
Of these accolades, which would you like to win most?