Outgoing AFL boss Demetriou pondering offers

Last updated 17:15 04/03/2014
Andrew Demetriou
RETIRING: "I've always said it was a privilege and an honour to serve the game. I also believe the time is right," AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said.

Relevant offers

Other Sports

Let me fight in Sydney, pleads Mark Hunt Burling and Tuke sail to gold in Spain Kiwis defend world surf lifesaving title in France Luuka Jones rues mistake in 10th place finish Sergent and Buchanan best of the Kiwi riders Hewitt medals at ITU long distance worlds Junior cyclist Kergozou has the recipe for success NZ track squad building well for new season Richar Abril retains WBA lightweight title Derek Jeter nears the end of Yankees career

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou says he's considering a number of job offers, the most recent of which came shortly after he announced his resignation.

Demetriou also revealed he took his children's iPads and iPhones away to prevent them leaking the news of his departure at the end of the 2014 season before his media conference on Monday.

Speaking on breakfast radio in Melbourne on Tuesday, Demetriou said he was currently mulling over a number of prospective career paths.

"I've got a couple of things that I'm looking at," he told 3AW.

"I've got to work. I've got four children at school. I want to be waving goodbye to the children in the morning, not them waving goodbye to me."

Asked when he was most recently approached about a job, Demetriou replied: "Yesterday, after my announcement."

He would not elaborate on what that offer was.

"I'm not telling you. It might've been morning radio!"

Demetriou said did not really want to remain in sports administration, reiterating his interest in joining the board at James Packer's Crown Entertainment.

"I've been asked informally, but it's something I'd consider if I was asked officially," he said.

While he first informed AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick of his desire to step down from the top job at last month's Superbowl in New York, Demetriou only told his children that he was retiring hours before his press conference on Sunday night.

But so worried was he about the news getting out, he barred them from accessing the internet.

"I took their iPads and iPhones away, so they couldn't Instagram and tell their friends, yes," he laughed.

"Absolutely they would (have leaked it)!"

Demetriou again defended the AFL's management of the Essendon supplements scandal, denying it had been mishandled under his watch.

"I don't agree that the ASADA investigation, the joint investigation, the self-reporting of Essendon, the efforts of the AFL to stop an abhorrent regime of injecting young men with god-knows-what substances, was handled badly.

"Do you know what the other option was? Not to do anything and let it keep going.

"What I would agree with is that everyone's got fatigue and it needs to be brought to an end.

"It's with ASADA now, it's not with the AFL."

Asked if ASADA had handled it efficiently, Demetriou said: "I think everyone would've preferred if it had been done quicker."

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Oscar Pistorius be allowed to compete again?

Absolutely. Running is his job.

Only if he receives a suspended sentence.

No way. His days as a runner are over.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content