England run over by an All Blacks bus

Last updated 05:00 22/06/2014
Patrick Tuipulotu, Julian Savea, TJ Perenara
Getty Images Zoom
Patrick Tuipulotu (left) and TJ Perenara (right) congratulate Julian Savea after one of his three tries.

Related Links

All Blacks vs England - 3rd test All Blacks player ratings for third test Hansen: All Blacks play 'as good as it gets' Fekitoa finds his feet in the All Black centres Randell: Read's performance highlight of test All Blacks clean-sweep the English Hansen not overly pleased with All Blacks win Gifford: England had courage but that was all

Relevant offers

All Blacks

English club Wasps confirm the signing of one-test All Black Frank Halai Faumuina wants to be top of the props for All Blacks All Blacks prop Charlie Faumuina re-signs with New Zealand rugby and rebuffs French cash Victory in the ring crucial for Sonny Bill Williams' sporting master plan Ben Franks confirms London Irish deal New Zealand rugby wages put into perspective as rich list revealed Jerome Kaino targeted by French and British clubs One-test All Black Frank Halai set to leave New Zealand and sign with Wasps Gifford: Former All Blacks lock Ali Williams' clowning masked rugby skills All Blacks have four months to decide whether to pursue Olympic sevens gold

A world record equalled, a sublime first half of attacking rugby and a fine defensive second half - the All Blacks produced it all against England last night.

Their 36-13 third-test victory over England not only wrapped up a 3-0 series whitewash for the hosts in front of a sellout Waikato Stadium crowd of 25,800, but also equalled the world record of consecutive test wins - 17.

The second 40 minutes might not have matched the attacking dominance of the first half for the All Blacks, but their effectiveness in shutting down the England attack was just as much a psychological blow to the visitors, as these two international powerhouses jockey for pre-World Cup bragging rights.

The test was over by halftime - 29-6 to the All Blacks - as the difference in attacking aptitude between the two sides was like night and day.

While England's big forwards coughed up the ball under pressure on their rare visits to the New Zealand half, the All Blacks' backs had a field day.

Mixed with some good positional kicking, particularly from the cannon boot of fullback Ben Smith, the All Blacks had a mortgage on territory and grabbed the majority of lineout ball as a result.

From that launching pad, the combined play of all seven All Blacks backs had the English defence totally befuddled, as they mixed sublime skill with pace and power to fine effect.

Savea had two tries within the first eight minutes, firstly from the combined efforts of Aaron and Ben Smith, then from a Cruden break and cutout pass that the big left winger snapped up brilliantly on the bounce.

A rain shower threatened to slow the hosts momentum but only a forward pass from Ben Smith to Savea prevented the latter's hat-trick coming in the 14th minute and, after an exchange of penalty goals, England were hit hard by the harsh sin-binning of their big No 8 Billy Vunipola, shown a yellow card by French referee Jerome Garces for a head-high tackle on Cruden midway through the half. There were further breaks by hooker Dane Coles and debutant centre Malakai Fekitoa, whose strong straight running proved a handful for the England midfield defence where Kyle Eastmond was struggling.

The third and fourth tries were both scored by Aaron Smith in the 27th and 34th minutes as the quality of the All Blacks attack, whether in close from their forwards or further out in the backline, continued to take its toll on the English.

Unsurprisingly, Eastmond did not reappear after halftime, replaced by Luther Burrell, while local hero Liam Messam replaced comeback No 8 Kieran Read.

Immediately there was a statement from England out of the dressing room, Marland Yarde scoring a try off a ruck in just the second minute and the visitors again piggy-backed a penalty to go straight back on attack, but were denied by the All Blacks' defence.

From there normal service was resumed. The All Blacks surged onto attack from a Jerome Kaino turnover and the boot of Ma'a Nonu, and England were forced to make dozens of tackles, although to their credit the defence held in the face of tremendous fire.

Ad Feedback

With such a big All Blacks lead the substitutions continued to come early from both sides.

It was hard to tell which had more effect initially. Apart from one sparkling break by first-five Beauden Barrett, England got the benefit of a string of penalties to surge onto attack.

The penalties and free kicks kept coming, keeping England on attack, and when replacement All Blacks prop Wyatt Crockett was yellow carded the momentum of moved even further in favour of the visitors despite the lopsided scoreline but again the defence held.

Just to rub it in, Savea got his hat-trick after the final hooter thanks to individual brilliance from right winger Cory Jane.

New Zealand 36 (Julian Savea 3, Aaron Smith 2 tries; Aaron Cruden 3 conversions, penalty goal; Beauden Barrett conversion) England 13 (Marland Yarde try; Freddie Burns conversion, 2 penalty goals). Halftime 29-6 NZ.

- Sunday News


Special offers
Opinion poll

Who was the best-performed All Blacks forward on the northern tour?

Dane Coles

Nathan Harris

Keven Mealamu

Wyatt Crockett

Charlie Faumuina

Ben Franks

Owen Franks

Joe Moody

Brodie Retallick

Luke Romano

Jeremy Thrush

Patrick Tuipulotu

Sam Whitelock

Sam Cane

Jerome Kaino

Richie McCaw

Liam Messam

Kieran Read

Vitor Vito

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content