Springboks' halfback Du Preez out for the year

NICK SAID
Last updated 05:00 04/07/2014
Fourie du Preez
Getty Images
SIDELINED: Springboks halfback Fourie du Preez will miss the rest of 2014 after suffering an ankle injury against Scotland.

Relevant offers

International

Call for Lions to follow ABs to Pacific Islands Blade wielding thugs attack French players Ex-All Blacks could face old team at World Cup Super plans threaten Japan's growth - Kirwan Steve Hansen praises progress in Aussie game Ex chairman Mike Eagle leaves the NZRU nest SA club rugby cancelled owing to referee abuse The rugged grace of rugby empowering women ARU boss 'not unhappy' about losing some stars Folau spotted having chat with NRL official

South Africa say halfback Fourie du Preez will not play again this year after confirming an ankle injury will keep him out of action for the next six months.

The South African Rugby Union had said earlier this week they expected the 32-year-old, who limped out of the 55-6 victory over Scotland on Saturday (local time), to be sidelined for three months.

However medical advice after surgery suggested it would take twice as long as initially thought to recover.

"It's a massive blow to lose yet another world class player and a key player due to an injury," Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer said.

"Fourie has been brilliant since he returned to the Springboks last year and he will be missed. However, this provides an opportunity for other scrumhalves to prove themselves and make the step up when the opportunity arises."

South Africa, who finished second behind New Zealand in last year's Rugby Championship, begin their 2014 campaign at home to Argentina on August 16.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content