Machete attack victims to be sidelined for weeks

DUNCAN JOHNSTONE
Last updated 12:45 22/07/2014
Aurelien Rougerie
Reuters
FRANCE WING: Aurelien Rougerie.
Julien Pierre
JASON OXENHAM/ Fairfax NZ
FRANCE LOCK: Julien Pierre.
Benjamin Kayser
Reuters
FRANCE HOOKER: Benjamin Kayser.

Relevant offers

International

Why NZ fans battle to entertain the prospect Brian O'Driscoll might be right Brian O'Driscoll disses Kiwi rugby fans while slamming Owen Franks citing decision Pumas suffer blow ahead of All Blacks test with injury to lock Tomas Lavanini Why English rugby is right to give summer, southern hemisphere the cold shoulder Former Wallabies star Brett Papworth says Australia must quit Sanzaar to fix its flawed game Former Wallabies back Rod Kafer claims referees are biased against Australia NZ Rugby chief Steve Tew admits they waited too long to take Sydney bug to police NZ Rugby boss Steve Tew says relationship remains positive with slumping Aussies Nick Phipps caught on camera ripping off and throwing away Malakai Fekitoa's boot All Blacks coach Steve Hansen says it's important for rugby that awful Australians get their game in order

The French test rugby stars injured in a weekend machete attack are expected to be sidelined for at least a month with their injuries.

Rugby club Clermont issued an update today after confirming its players, Julien Pierre, Aurelien Rougerie and Benjamin Kayser, had been taken to hospital following an attack in the streets of Milau where the team had been holding pre-season training.

The trio of French test players were set upon by up to a dozen men "armed with machetes, knives and swords" in the early hours of Sunday morning (local time) following reported problems at a nightclub in the southern French city.

Pierre, a lock, was in the most serious condition with deep cuts to his hips requiring surgery. The club confirmed today his operation was a success and anticipated him returning to training before September.

Kayser, a hooker, suffered cuts to his arm and hand in the attack. He faced four weeks on the sidelines.

Centre, and captain, Rougerie would be out for three to four weeks with his arm injuries.

Police were yet to release information on their investigation.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who was the better Springboks lock?

Bakkies Botha

Victor Matfield

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content