Former Springbok Juan Smith forced to retire

Last updated 09:43 12/02/2013
Juan Smith
Getty Images
RETIRED: Former Springbok Juan Smith has been forced to retire due to injury.

Relevant offers


James O'Connor released by Queensland Reds for 'personal issues' Five reasons to get excited about the other three Rugby World Cup quarterfinals All Blacks great Zinzan Brooke rates Wallabies as favourites to win Rugby World Cup All Blacks virtually ignored in World Cup's best team while Wallabies dominate Rugby World Cup 2015: Ten lessons from the Pool stage Springboks focus on discipline for Wales showdown Man of match system to be adjusted for Rugby World Cup knockout phase Paula Ngauamo banned for Dan Carter tackle, Ireland's Sean O'Brien cited Rugby World Cup 2015: All Blacks only fifth-ranked team for match attendances All Blacks won't be fooled: This time they are ready for typical French backlash

Former Springbok flank and 2007 World Cup winner Juan Smith has been forced to retire after a recurrence of an Achilles injury.

Smith told the Volksblad newspaper on Monday that he had been forced to end his career after a recurrence of the injury that had sidelined him for two years.

Smith made his return for the Cheetahs in a warm-up game just over a week ago but hurt himself again in Saturday's game against the Bulls.

Volksblad says Smith made the decision to give up after the results of a scan on Monday.

The 31-year-old loose forward played 69 tests for South Africa and was one of the outstanding performers in the World Cup triumph in France.

He captained the Springboks in his last game for his country in 2010.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who was the better Springboks lock?

Bakkies Botha

Victor Matfield

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content