Pat McCabe ruled out for rest of 2013 season

JIM MORTON
Last updated 14:29 26/06/2013
Pat McCabe
Getty Images
OUT OF ACTION: Pat McCabe.

Relevant offers

International

Adam Ashley-Cooper, James Horwill to join European clubs Wales to leave no stone unturned in Rugby World Cup preparations Martin Castrogiovanni fined for misconduct Ireland lock in Rugby World Cup build-up matches Yokohama bids for 2019 Rugby World Cup matches 'Tongan Thor' hopes for starring role on rugby's biggest stage Gifford: Administrators are to blame for Samoan standoff Samoa PM forced into crisis talks with World Rugby bosses Quade Cooper signs one-year extension with Wallabies New deal close for Wallabies bad boy Kurtley Beale

Wallabies centre Pat McCabe has been ruled out of rugby for the rest of 2013 but doesn't believe his recurring neck injury will end his career.

There are fears McCabe will struggle to return to the field after the fracture he sustained on last year's spring tour reopened in Saturday night's 23-21 first test loss to the British and Irish Lions.

After consulting Sydney specialists on Tuesday, the 25-year-old has been told he faces a long course of rehabilitation. "It's unfortunate that having completed the healing process from last year's injury that it has happened again," Wallabies doctor Warren McDonald said.  

"The fracture that has partially opened up is expected to repair itself and strengthen.

"This does not mean that Pat will not be able to return to the rugby field and be able to feel comfortable taking contact.

"The specialist advice is that a return is viable pending the full recovery and strengthening of the neck."

It's not only a blow to the Wallabies midfield depth but also to the Super Rugby-leading Brumbies, who had hoped to have McCabe back for their finals campaign.

McCabe must don a neck brace for a minimum six weeks, stabilising the injury, before further assessment is made.

While he's not yet in the clear, the hard-running 20-test midfielder realised the news could have been a lot worse.

"It was encouraging to hear the specialists being positive both about the recovery process but also the possibility that I could be able to return to the playing field," said McCabe, a member of Australia's leadership group last year.

"It is human nature to think the worst but I'm in good hands medically.

"I'd obviously like to get back into it, but I'll be taking no chances with my health either.

"Hopefully things will go to plan, I'm pretty confident they will. I think I've got plenty of games left in me."

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who was the better Springboks lock?

Bakkies Botha

Victor Matfield

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content