Citing commissioner finds no evidence Welshman George North was bitten

George North, left, claimed he was bitten during Wales' loss to France but the citing commissioner found no evidence of ...
GETTY IMAGES

George North, left, claimed he was bitten during Wales' loss to France but the citing commissioner found no evidence of foul play.

There was no evidence that Wales wing George North was bitten in the latter stages of their controversial 20-18 Six Nations defeat by France last weekend, the citing commissioner has said.

After reviewing evidence in the case of the alleged bite, including footage from several angles, the commissioner was "not able to conclude that any particular individual carried out an act of foul play", organisers said in a statement on Monday (Tuesday NZ time).

France scored a try 20 minutes after the end of normal time to seal victory after a bizarre end chaotic end to the game.

Furious Wales coach Rob Howley said replacement prop Uini Atonio's substitution by starter Rabah Slimani in stoppage time brought the integrity of the game into disrepute and there was evidence North had been bitten.

READ MORE:
Barnes criticism 'unfair'
RWC seedings finalised
Wales await word on bite claim

"I am sure you can ask George if you can have a look at his arm. There is evidence to suggest that there is a bite," Howley said after the chaotic game in Paris.

France coach Guy Noves responded angrily when a reporter suggested North had been bitten in stoppage time. Noves bit his hand and said: "Look, there's a bite mark, here."

Howley said France's late substitution was planned, suggesting Slimani should not have been allowed to come on again. He had earlier been replaced but was allowed to return when Atonio went off for a head injury assessment. 

Ad Feedback

 - Reuters

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback