James Horwill backs coach on O'Connor decision

ADRIAN WARREN
Last updated 17:46 21/09/2013
james horwill
Getty Images
JAMES HORWILL: "I fully support Ewen's decision and I guess it's for the best of the team."
James O'Connor
Getty Images
MORE TROUBLE? James O'Connor was reportedly barred from boarding a flight in Perth.

Relevant offers

International

IOC boss Thomas Bach tells Japan 'no apology needed' over stadium changes Wycliff Palu back for Wallabies to add heft to pack for test against All Blacks Wallabies flanker Michael Hooper may miss first Bledisloe test as Sanzar review ban Wycliff Palu and Matt Giteau in Wallabies squad for All Blacks test Kane Douglas set for Wallabies recall after signing deal with Queensland Reds, ARU Wallabies flanker Michael Hooper free to face All Blacks in Sydney Pacific Nations Cup: Sakaria Taulafo try propels Samoa past Canada to meet Fiji in final World Rugby to meet Japan's 2019 World Cup organisers over stadium scrapping Quade Cooper's club turns down his offer to play in grand final ahead of Bledisloe test Welsh rugby star George North sees gremlins at World Cup camp in Doha

Wallabies captain James Horwill fully supports the decision of coach Ewen McKenzie to stand down wayward back James O'Connor from the challenging Rugby Championship matches in South African and Argentina.

McKenzie made the decision on Friday after reviewing an incident in Perth last Sunday when an allegedly intoxicated O'Connor was prevented from boarding a plane.

McKenzie, who also took into account other incidents in O'Connor's Wallaby career, decided the 23 year-old back's behaviour last weekend was unacceptable and that it needed to change significantly.

He didn't consult any players before making the decision, but Horwill made it clear the coach had the players' backing.

"I fully support Ewen's decision and I guess it's for the best of the team," Horwill said.

"That's what we're about, the team comes first in these situations."

Horwill hasn't had the chance to talk to O'Connor since he had been stood down.

"He's had a bit of a whirlwind few days with what's going on and I'll speak to him in due time," Horwill said.

"But it's up to him to make his behavioural changes, there's not many people that can do that for you.

"You've got to understand where your priorities lie and that's where he's at at the moment."

Horwill said he hoped O'Connor would be able to turn things around.

"He's got to make that realisation and understand what's important to him and what he wants to do with his rugby going forward," Horwill said.

"Hopefully it is a moment where he understands that he might need to change something to get the best out of himself."

Lock Horwill is confident he will be fit for next weekend's clash with South Africa in Cape Town after missing the last two tests with a hamstring strain.

"The hamstring feels good,so I just need to do team based stuff, set-piece stuff," Horwill said.

"I've still got that to tick off but at this stage, I can't see any reason why there would be any problems."

Horwill stressed it was essential for Australia to build on last weekend's one-point win over Argentina.

"We obviously didn't play our best rugby and we're happy to admit that," Horwill said.

"But we need to build from that and we can't go backwards from where we are."

He said Australia needed to be better at the breakdown against the Springboks who thrashed them 38-12 in Brisbane earlier this month.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who was the better Springboks lock?

Bakkies Botha

Victor Matfield

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content