O'Connor joins Toulon, World Cup now unlikely

GREGORY BLACHIER
Last updated 03:48 07/02/2014

Relevant offers

International

England primed for Six Nations 'decider' against Ireland, says Stuart Lancaster Scotland flyhalf Peter Horne replaces banned Finn Russell against Italy Lock Michael FitzGerald lost to Manawatu Turbos Kevin Locke's Scottish rugby move looks imminent France drop Mathieu Bastareaud, recall Morgan Parra for Wales clash in Paris Warren Gatland's future cloudy as Welsh CEO resigns England fullback Mike Brown ruled out of Ireland match, replaced by Alex Goode Mark Hammett resigns at Cardiff due to family reasons French rugby coach Philippe Saint-Andre denies players were 'loaded' during win over All Blacks in 1986 Michael Cheika says Wallabies door open to overseas-bound players

Australia international James O'Connor will join European champions Toulon next season, a move that is likely to end his slim chances of returning to the Wallabies squad for next year's World Cup.

The 23-year-old utility back, currently playing for English Premiership side London Irish, has signed for one year, a spokesman for the French club said on Thursday (local time).

"President Mourad Boudjellal this morning said O'Connor will play for Toulon next season. And maybe more," he said.

London Irish last week announced that O'Connor would leave at the end of the season after completing his six-month contract at the club.

It was said at the time that O'Connor was willing to play in the southern hemisphere Super Rugby competition next year, hoping to rejoin Australia for the 2015 World Cup.

The talented O'Connor, who has won 44 caps and is capable of playing any backline position, was released from his Wallabies contract in September following a series of off-field incidents.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who was the better Springboks lock?

Bakkies Botha

Victor Matfield

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content