BREAKING NEWS
Woman pleads guilty to manslaughter over toddler's death in hot car ... Read more
Close

Smaller unions' NPC wishes are granted

RICHARD KNOWLER
Last updated 05:00 15/12/2012

Relevant offers

Provincial

Postive steps for Stags and Highlanders relationship, says coach Brad Mooar Tom Marshall to stay a Tasman Mako after All Black chance revealed Joe Maddock named as Canterbury assistant coach, replacing Jason Holland Chase Tiatia leaves Wellington for two-year deal with Bay of Plenty Rugby Southland announces $174k profit at annual meeting The Ground We Won about to debut Tasman rugby union announce profit Michael Fatialofa eyeing Southland in round one of NPC after returning to Auckland Manawatu openside Callum Gibbins re-signs with the Hurricanes for another year Canterbury rugby assistants Jason Holland and Scott Hansen moving on

The New Zealand Rugby Union has scrapped Tuesday night fixtures and extended next year's National Provincial Championship.

Eleven of the 14 provincial unions requested the NZRU change the controversial format which frustrated coaches, players and fans this season.

Now the round-robin, which this season lasted seven weeks and three days, has been stretched to nine weeks. The NPC will begin a week earlier on August 17.

While Canterbury, Wellington and Auckland stated in a feedback document they were content with the compressed tournament, the smaller unions argued mid-week games were a financial disaster and the short turnaround didn't give players enough time to recover from injuries.

The big three unions were against extending the competition because of concerns about not having some players available following a heavy Super Rugby workload.

The Super Rugby final is set to be played on August 3.

The scrapping of Tuesday night matches means teams will have only one short turnaround, instead of two, and games will now be played between Wednesday and Sunday. The finalised draw is expected to be released in February.

"There is still a very clear desire for the ITM Cup to retain a standalone window in order to preserve the windows currently for both club and Super Rugby," NZRU chief executive Steve Tew said.

"Starting a week earlier is a sensible solution that doesn't compromise those dedicated timeframes."

Meanwhile, former Canterbury openside flanker Brendon O'Connor has signed with Hawke's Bay for the next two seasons. He totalled 17 appearances for Canterbury.

O'Connor, who has signed with the Blues after being a member of the Crusaders' wider training group, did not play for Canterbury this season because of a knee injury.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers
Opinion poll

What did you make of this year's ITM Cup?

It was as good a season as I can remember.

It was great to see the smaller provinces perform well.

I caught the odd game here and there.

Sorry, it was an utter snore-fest.

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content