Super Rugby expansion unlikely: Sanzar boss

Last updated 07:51 03/02/2012

Relevant offers

Super Rugby

Southland Boys' High School pupil signs with Highlanders and Stags Chiefs affair akin to a tea party with actual tea, Aussie scribe reckons Highlanders sign Manawatu halfback Kayne Hammington for 2017 Andrew Fifita won't quit the NRL, says his Cronulla Sharks captain Paul Gallen Utility back David Havili re-signs with the Crusaders to end of 2019 Tim Nanai-Williams re-signs with Chiefs after spell in Japan Chiefs fullback appears in court over dog attack Blues sign promising backs Stephen Perofeta and Michael Collins for Super Rugby Highlanders assistant coach Ben Herring joins Jamie Joseph as Japan's defensive coach Hurricanes sign winger and sevens star Ben Lam for their Super Rugby title defence

Super Rugby boss Greg Peters looks to have dashed South African hopes of expanding the tournament to 16 teams, declaring commercial arrangements won't allow it.

South Africa are desperate to get an additional team involved in a Super 16 competition next year to accommodate the Southern Kings entry into the tournament next year without having to axe one of the current five sides - the Bulls, Sharks, Lions, Stormers or Cheetahs.

They are preparing a 16-team schedule to present to their Sanzar partners New Zealand and Australia in the hope of avoiding an ugly scenario in their own back yard that will cost one of the established franchises millions if they are cast aside.

But comments from Peters, the Sanzar chief executive, suggest there is little hope for the South African plan.

"Sanzar has sold the current structure of Super Rugby to broadcasters and commercial partners for the period ending December 31 2015, so until that time expansion of the competition is not possible," Peters told SportLive in South Africa.

But the South Africans are pushing on with Saru deputy president Mark Alexander determined to present their case to their partners.

"We still have to meet with our partners in Sanzar. Greg Peters cannot decide there won't be any expansion of the tournament," Alexander told SportLive.

"That was an irresponsible statement to make. There is a window of opportunity with our partners in Sanzar.

"We are currently preparing a 16-team schedule so that we can go and debate with them."

It seems unlikely the proposal will find favour with New Zealand and Australia after considerable work when into evening the tournament structure of the Super 15 which was introduced just last year, giving each country five teams and a new-look six-teams finals format.

The new conference system has been designed to alleviate previous complaints from South African teams about the amount of travel they undertook in the old Super 12 and Super 15 systems.

This year's tournament opens on February 24 with the Blues hosting the Crusaders at Auckland's Eden Park.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Which 2015 NZ Super Rugby team looks best?






Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content