Chiefs romp to first Super Rugby title

Last updated 21:25 04/08/2012
Chiefs v Sharks
Chiefs perform a haka after beating the Sharks in the Super Rugby final.

Related Links

Chiefs v Sharks Chiefs coach to Sharks forwards: Bring it on Chiefs must take their chances in final Chiefs need to pull out something special Boost for Chiefs with inclusion of lock Clarke

Relevant offers

Super Rugby

Australian rugby has 'major player development problem': Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson Kiwi coach Daryl Gibson has Waratahs' board's 'full support' despite Super Rugby struggles Six match Super Rugby ban for Sharks centre Andre Esterhuizen Chiefs halfback Finlay Christie cops three-week ban for 'reckless' stamping on opponent's head Richie Mo'unga tests pain threshold and patience as Crusaders prepare for Cheetahs Daryl Gibson has 'got to go' after woeful Waratahs loss: ex-Wallabies coach Alan Jones Chiefs halfback among three players cited in round nine of Super Rugby Red-hot Crusaders off on safari and seeking extension of Super Rugby winning streak Super Rugby: Five things we learned from the Crusaders win over the Stormers Hurricanes and Crusaders on fire as Kiwi teams remain the kings of Super Rugby

The Chiefs have won the Super Rugby trophy for the first time in 17 years of professional rugby, hammering the travel-weary Sharks 37-6 in tonight's final in Hamilton.

In front of a raucous 25,100 crowd that braved pouring rain in the first half, the home side proved too strong after absorbing a powerful opening by the South Africans in the first quarter at Waikato Stadium.

It is the first time in four years that a New Zealand team has won the title, the Crusaders the last Kiwi champions in 2008.

It is a remarkable feat by Dave Rennie and his coaching team in their first year in charge of the Chiefs and with a number of rookie players in their squad.

The Chiefs headed down the tunnel for halftime with a 13-3 advantage that was built from a swing in momentum midway through the opening spell.

It was the Sharks early on who brought the intensity, the heat from their defence outstanding, and their kicking game was also a notch or two above that of the home side.

But all they had to show for it was a solitary penalty goal by first five-eighth Frederic Michalak and gradually the Chiefs worked their way back into the game.

While once again the Chiefs were intent on keeping ball in hand and often running it out of their 22, it was the use of the high bomb out of those defensive situations in the steady rain that finally cracked open the South Africans.

First it was a beautifully weighted aerial chip by Aaron Cruden that standout centre Andrew Horrell ran onto, the previously contained Sonny Bill Williams got up a head of steam when the ball was moved wide and then from the resulting ruck the ball was moved wide left through the hands of Horrell to the dancing Tim Nanai-Williams.

The diminutive winger had players with him but he didn't need them as he barrelled through and under the defence, sliding over in the multiple tackles to score.

Cruden followed with the wide-angled conversion and two big penalty goals as the Chiefs' bombs were fumbled by the Sharks while the home side made the travel-weary visitors make a huge number of tackles.

With the rain disappearing during the break, the Chiefs fired straight back onto attack at the start of the second half, forced a 5m scrum with good pressure on a Sharks loosehead and No8 Kane Thompson scored his first try of the season, Cruden converting to make it 20-3.

Chiefs tighthead prop Ben Tameifuna was lucky to get away with a crunching high tackle on impressive Sharks No8 Ryan Kankowski, but Kankowski showed no ill effects and played on.

The Chiefs continued to pin the Sharks back in their own half with some outstanding defensive intensity and their ever present attack intent.

The Sharks continued to make mistakes in the face of the Chiefs' relentless pressure and the reward for the home side was a fourth try, this time to Sonny Bill Williams, with Cruden's boot making the final scoreline 37-6.

Chiefs 37 (Tim Nanai-Williams, Kane Thompson, Lelia Masaga, Sonny Bill Williams tries; Aaron Cruden 4 conversions, 3 penalty goals)

Ad Feedback

Sharks 6 (Frederic Michalak 2 penalty goals).

Halftime: 13-3 Chiefs.

- Fairfax Media


Special offers
Opinion poll

Which 2015 NZ Super Rugby team looks best?






Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content