Highlanders not calling in replacement for Hore

Last updated 09:30 29/11/2012
Andrew Hore
Getty Images
MISSING OUT: Andrew Hore will miss the Highlanders three pre-season games and their opening Super Rugby game, but reinforcements are not being called in.

Relevant offers

Super Rugby

Karmichael Hunt has his confidence back: Reds coach Richard Graham NSW Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson using family tragedy to help out Zac Guildford Knowler: Crusaders should look outside tent for Todd Blackadder's replacement Todd Blackadder to end Crusaders era; not looking to coach elsewhere yet Todd Blackadder won't coach Crusaders past 2016 Super Rugby season Hurricanes coach Chris Boyd positive about midfield despite Smith and Nonu loss 'Big-name coaches' keen to replace Eddie Jones at Stormers South African union takes charge of broke Super Rugby team the Southern Kings Loose forward Tanerau Latimer boosts Blues stocks for 2016 Super Rugby season ACT Brumbies sign Argentina halfback Tomas Cubelli on two-year deal

The Highlanders won't be calling in another player to cover for suspended skipper Andrew Hore.

The All Blacks hooker was banned for five weeks overnight for his deliberate swinging arm that knocked out Wales lock Bradley Davies in Cardiff last week.

Hore will miss this weekend's test against England, the Highlanders pre-season fixtures against the Crusaders, Chiefs and Blues and their opening game against the Chiefs on February 22.

Highlanders chief executive Roger Clark said the ban was disappointing given Hore had just been named captain ahead of the 2013 season and would be a big part of the franchise's plans.

''You have to have two injuries in any one position to bring a player into the squad and we've got Brayden Mitchell and Liam Coltman,'' Clark said.

Stags veteran Jason Rutledge would likely be at the top of the list if the Highlanders did need to add a rake to their squad.

The Highlanders already have issues in the front row with tighthead props Chris King and Ma'afu Fia both recovering from offseason surgery.

King is expected to miss the first month of the competition, while it's touch and go whether Fia will be ready for the start of the campaign.

Clark said the Highlanders were looking at what options were available before bringing a prop into the squad.

The Highlanders will go into camp on December 10 with the 24 players not involved in either the All Black or Maori All Black tours.

The Maori players will rejoin the squad on January 8 and the All Blacks were scheduled to come back in the first week of February.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Which 2015 NZ Super Rugby team looks best?






Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content