BREAKING NEWS
Air Asia flight from Indonesia to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control ... Read more
Close

Dimitrov into maiden third round at Wimbledon

CLARE LOVELL AND LIAM FITZGIBBON
Last updated 04:54 26/06/2014
Grigor Dimitrov
Getty Images
LAST 64: Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov advanced to the third round at Wimbledon for the first time in four attempts.

Relevant offers

Tennis

Few season highlights for Kiwi tennis players to celebrate Rising Aussie tennis star Nick Kyrgios ready for summer spotlight Rafael Nadal ready for Australian Open after successful appendix surgery Francesca Schiavone awarded Auckland wildcard Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams take ITF annual honours Former Grand Slam winner Francesca Schiavone to play in Auckland Caroline Wozniacki to get $15k bracelet for playing in Auckland Tomas Berdych to be coached by Andy Murray's former hitting partner Indian Aces the top team in inaugural IPTL New Zealand men's tournament lands tennis' next big thing Bojan Coric

Queen's champion Grigor Dimitrov showed the value of extra grasscourt practice on Wednesday (local time), when an assured 6-3 6-2 6-4 victory over Australian Luke Saville took him into Wimbledon's third round for the first time.

The 23-year-old Bulgarian, who blazed through the Wimbledon warm-up event two weeks ago, showed no Centre Court nerves in dispatching Saville, 20, like him a former junior champion at the All England Club.

After being knocked out in the second round in his last three appearances at Wimbledon, Dimitrov said he was delighted to move further into the tournament.

"I always wanted to do that. I wanted to do well on grass," he said. "At the moment I'm trying to adapt to each player each day."

Dimitrov has risen through the rankings to 13th this year after winning titles in Acapulco and Bucharest as well as Queen's.

He won the boys' Wimbledon title in 2008 and qualifier Saville, the second youngest man in the draw and now ranked 236 in the world, followed him in 2011.

ANOTHER AUSSIE FALLS

Marinko Matosevic has fallen agonisingly short of reaching the third round at Wimbledon, losing to Frenchman Jeremy Chardy in a five-set epic.

The Australian world No 58 went down 6-7 (7-5) 7-6 (9-7) 7-6 (11-9) 4-6 7-5 in a marathon encounter lasting four hours and 15 minutes.

Matosevic rode a wave of emotions on Court 17 but failed to build on his impressive run of form since finally breaking his grand slam duck at last month's French Open.

The 28-year-old missed a chance to reach the last 32 of a grand slam for the first time.

Again employing an "old school" serve-and-volley style encouraged by his coach Mark Woodforde, Matosevic twice came from behind to take the first set in a tiebreak.

The Australian's focus wavered in the second as he became agitated with several line calls.

"Everything's a fault," he muttered before saving five break points to hold serve in the second game.

Matosevic saved three set points in the tiebreak before Chardy converted his fourth opportunity to level the match.

The Australian squandered three break points against serve to take the third set, with Chardy prevailing in another epic tiebreak.

Matosevic, rallying a small but enthusiastic crowd behind him, hit back in the fourth set, securing a crucial break and maintaining his focus on serve.

He looked headed for victory after breaking early in the deciding set but Chardy broke straight back.

Ad Feedback

Serving to keep his hopes alive, the Australian saved two match points from 0-40 down before Chardy edged a tense finish to set up a third-round encounter with Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky.

Matosevic becomes the third Australian to fall in the second round.

- Reuters, AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content