Bernard Tomic to face court over traffic offences

Last updated 11:24 01/02/2012

Relevant offers

Tennis

Kiwi doubles players lose in quarterfinals at Queens French Open doubles champions start well at Queens Six-time Grand Slam winner Boris Becker declared bankrupt by British court One-armed Kiwi Alex Hunt enters the tough world of pro tennis Murray loses to player ranked 90th in world in opening round at Queen's Club Tennis player Erin Routliffe becomes Kiwi in time for Fed Cup Andy Murray to donate Queen's Club prize money to families of London's Grenfell Tower victims Kiwi doubles player Marcus Daniell finds form in London Nick Kyrgios snubs John McEnroe coaching bid, 'he's dreaming' Michael Venus through to doubles semifinal after long third set in Netherlands

Australia's teenage tennis star, Bernard Tomic, is due to face a Gold Coast court next month charged with two traffic offences.

The case follows a tense three hour stand-off with police outside the Tomic home in Southport last week after the teenager was given two tickets.

He was pulled over in his V8 BMW M3 on Albert Avenue at Broadbeach around 12.40pm and given a A$300 infringement notice.

Police said the ticket was for driving a high-powered vehicle in breach of the special conditions of his licence.

He was stopped a second time in Surf Parade at Broadbeach about 3pm where he was given another ticket for the same offence, police said.

After being issued with the second ticket, he was followed home by a police car with lights flashing before parking his car in the driveway behind locked security gates.

He refused to speak to police until his lawyer arrived.

Police issued a statement tonight saying it will be alleged Tomic failed to stop for officers on Waterways Drive at Broadbeach about 3.30pm on January 26.

He has been charged with failing to stop his car, and with not keeping to the left of double dividing lines on the road.

Tomic has hired the Gold Coast's foremost civil lawyer Chris Nyst, who said the young tennis star hadn't broken the law.

"What I've seen so far I can't see that Bernard's done anything wrong," Mr Nyst told the Nine network.

"We're talking about a teenager who's been alleged to have done the most minor of traffic infringements, there's not even any suggestion that there's been any inappropriate driving or any kind of delinquent driving," he said.

Mr Nyst said he will ask for a meeting with Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson to settle the matter.

Tomic, who reached the fourth round of the Australian Open in Melbourne, and has been named in Australia's Davis Cup squad, has a special exemption to drive his A$150,000 sports car, but only to and from training and other activities directly related to his tennis.

The car's top speed is limited to 250km/h.

Tomic has repeatedly claimed he is being persecuted by police.

He is due to face court on February 14.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content