Nadal sidelined with stomach complaint

Last updated 09:50 26/12/2012
Rafael Nadal.
Getty Images
RAFAEL NADAL: Knee feels good, stomach not so good.

Relevant offers

Tennis

Nick Kyrgios cops fine for obscenity in French Open loss to Richard Gasquet Reive: The tennis world is more entertaining with Nick Kyrgios in it Marcus Daniell through to doubles third round at French Open, Artem Sitak out. Rafa Nadal pulls out of French Open with wrist injury No-nonsense Andy Murray eases past Ivo Karlovic in Paris Injured, upset Nick Kyrgios knocked out at French Open Australia's Sam Stosur fights her way to French Open fourth round Simona Halep survives scare from 'a child of the internet' Williams sisters take similar routes to round three at the French Open New Zealand doubles player Artem Sitak through to second round at French Open

Rafael Nadal's doctors have ordered him to pull out of what was to have been his first comeback tournament after a seven-month hiatus nursing a knee injury.

The 26-year-old Spaniard said on his Facebook page today that a fever caused by a stomach infection has forced him to pull out of an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi on December 27.

"I am very disappointed that I will not be able to compete this year in Abu Dhabi," he said. "Everything had been prepared."

Nadal added that he had been very keen to return to the Middle East competition but doctors had told him his body needs rest "to fight this stomach virus."

Nadal acknowledged his withdrawal would be a disappointment to fans and the tournament, which is due to feature top-ranked Novak Djokovic and No. 3-ranked Andy Murray of Britain, but emphasised that it was not prompted by his knee injury.

"My rehab has gone well, my knee feels good and I was looking forward to competing," he said.

The injury prevented Nadal from defending his Olympic singles gold at the Olympics in London, where he was supposed to be Spain's flag bearer at the opening ceremony. He also had to pull out of the US Open and Spain's Davis Cup final against the Czech Republic, which his teammates lost without him.

The 11-time Grand Slam winner and former top-ranked player said his knee has improved over the last two months after making frustratingly little progress during the summer.

The tournament in Abu Dhabi would have been Nadal's first competitive action since being sidelined with tendinitis in his left knee following a second-round loss to then 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon in June.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content