Ferrer advances easily at Copa Claro

Last updated 08:43 21/02/2013

Relevant offers


Venus Williams refuses grid interview with F1 commentator Martin Brundle Michael Venus and Mate Pavic claim big doubles scalp at ATP tournament in Stockholm Rafael Nadal puts end to 2016 season because of left wrist injury Tennis ban rules Nick Kyrgios out of contention for top Australian award Nick Kyrgios snubs Rotterdam Open to play celebrity basketball game Finalist Jack Sock to return to Auckland for ASB Classic in January Pro tennis player banned, fined for match-fixing Nick Kyrgios must get fitter to stop meltdowns: Todd Woodbridge Banned Kyrgios could quit without proper support - Former Wimbledon champ ASB Classic organisers confident Serena Williams will be fit for tournament

Top-seeded David Ferrer of Spain began his defence of the Copa Claro title with a comfortable 6-4, 6-1 victory over Argentine wild card Agustin Velotti.

Ferrer, ranked No 4, is a strong favorite to win his second tournament of the young season. He won in Auckland last month.

"I was ready to get going, and get going with a victory," Ferrer said. "There are no easy matches, although our rankings were not very even."

Ferrer got off to a 4-1 lead, only to have Velotti win three straight games to level. Ferrer won the last two and swept through the second set.

Ferrer is coming off his best season with seven tournament victories in 2012.

In another first-round match postponed from Tuesday because of rain in the Argentine capital, David Nalbandian defeated fellow Argentine Carlos Berlocq 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. Also, sixth-seeded Fabio Fognini defeated Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 7-5, 6-3.

Nalbandian, who also came through windy conditions and the threat of rain, will face Ferrer in the second round.

"In the second set I lost some intensity, and he (Berlocq) picked up his game," Nalbandian said. "Luckily, I was able to come back and win the third set."

The first few days of the tournament in Buenos Aires have been poorly attended, hurt by bad weather and the absence of a top-name player like Rafael Nadal. Making a comeback after nearly eight months away, Nadal played in the first two of four Latin American clay-court events - in Chile and Brazil - but skipped Argentina. He will play next week in Acapulco, Mexico.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content