Help get NZ cooking: Vegetarian chilli
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Vegetarian|
|Cooking time||30 min - 1 hour|
I enjoy cooking because I live by myself, ergo I can cook whatever I want.
I eat mostly vegetarian fare at home; it's cheap, healthy, and easy on the wallet. I make bulk batches of my dinners and then freeze portions for later. This is again cost-effective, but also if I don't get home till late or don't have time to cook I can just take a portion out in the morning to defrost, then reheat when I get home.
One of my favourite go-to recipes is vegetarian chilli. I usually use cans of pulses, kidney beans and cannellini beans are especially good, but chickpeas work well too.
You can use whatever vegetables you like, frozen veges are fine, and it's a good way to use up whatever you have left in your fridge or freezer vege-wise.
You can also use lean mince instead of pulses, if you're carnivorously inclined. With chilli it's all about seasoning to your taste, if you like ultra-spicy, add more chilli flakes, if you like it mild, only add a dash.
|2 cans of pulses|
|1 can chopped tomatoes|
|1 cup vegetable stock|
|1 tablespoon crushed garlic|
|1 tablespoon crushed ginger|
|1 brown onion, chopped|
|1 green capsicum, chopped|
|Whatever veges you prefer, chopped (I use broccoli, grean beans, carrot, sometimes eggplant)|
|chili flakes to taste|
|1/2 cup tomato paste|
|3 tablespoons paprika, enough to coat the veges in the pan evenly|
|Salt and pepper|
|1. Heat a little bit of oil in a pan. Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger and stir for a few minutes.
2. Add the vegetables and stir for a few more minutes.
3. Add the paprika and stir until the veges are evenly coated, then add the tomato paste and stir.
4. Once the veges are evenly coated in the paprika and paste, add the chilli flakes.
5. Stir for a few minutes, then add the can of chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring to the boil, then add the pulses.
6. Season with salt and pepper, and bring down to a simmer. Simmer until the veges are tender and the pulses cooked through (about 20 minutes or so).
7. Serve with your choice of rice. Basmati rice is good with this chili.
Help New Zealand get cooking is an ongoing Stuff Nation assignment. To contribute hit the green button.
View all contributions
Should SBW have been given an exemption?Related story: (See story)