Homemade chicken and bacon pie
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Quick and easy|
|Cooking time||30 min - 1 hour|
This chicken and bacon pie is easy peasy and goes wonderfully with veges and mash.
|Oil for frying|
|2 large skinless chicken breasts, diced or 500g chicken mince|
|1 onion - chopped|
|300g bacon - chopped|
|3 Tbsps flour|
|1/2 cup milk|
|1/2 cup cream|
|1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 Tbsp dried thyme|
|Salt and freshly ground pepper|
|A packet of flaky pastry|
|Milk to glaze|
|1. Make the filling by heating a little oil in a frying pan. Add chicken, bacon and onion and brown. Add the flour and cook stirring constantly for one minute.
2. Add the milk, cream and thyme and cook stirring until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
3. Line the base of the tin with pastry sheet allowing a little to overhang.
4. Spoon the filling in to fill the pastry case.
5. Brush the edges of the base with milk and apply top pastry.
6. Press the top on to the bottom using the fork and then trim excess pastry.
7. Brush the surface of the pastry with milk.
8. Bake in an oven, preheated to 200C, for 35mins or until pastry is golden brown.
Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
View all contributions
Are you a fan of Paul Henry's new show?Related story: (See story)