Help NZ get cooking: Sweet and Sour chicken
The following recipe can be easily doubled, it's quick, tasty and good eating and uses ingredients usually found in the pantry. I know the recipe off by heart and can put it together in 30 minutes. It uses a frypan, two saucepans and a microwave.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Stir-fry|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
Sweet and Sour chicken
|1 small can of pineapple pieces|
|1 medium onion|
|1 cup of frozen veges|
|2 tablespoons of oil for frying|
|2 cups of dried rice|
|500 gms of chicken breasts or boneless thighs (but can use other cuts of chicken. Remember though, if the chicken has bones in it, to cook it longer.)|
|3/4 cup of water|
|4 tablespoons of tomato sauce|
|4 tablespoons of brown vinegar|
|1 tablespoon of cornflour|
|1 tablespoon of soya sauce|
|2 tablespoons of sugar|
|1. Boil water and salt in a saucepan, add rice and cook till done, drain.
2. Peel and cut onion into slim wedges. Heat frypan and lightly fry onion and put on plate.
3. In a medium saucepan, mix can of pineapple with tomato sauce, vinegar, soya sauce and sugar. Put the cornflour in a cup or small container and use some of the water to mix up a paste, add the rest of the water, mix and add to the other ingredients. Heat this on high stirring all the time until it boils and thickens, put aside.
4. Cut up the chicken into bite-sized pieces, put on a dinner plate, cover with gladwrap and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from microwave and tip off the fluid and put chicken into the sauce (It continues cooking in the sauce).
5. Microwave the frozen veg and put into the sauce.
6. Put the fried onion into the sauce.
7. Heat this concoction for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve hot on rice.
View all contributions
Are you a fan of Paul Henry's new show?Related story: (See story)