Help get NZ cooking: Allergen-free chocolate cake
This is a version of Claudia Roden's famous Middle Eastern orange and almond cake using boiled oranges, but with chocolate for that wonderful chocolate orange combination.
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Cake|
|Special options||Dairy & Gluten-free|
It is both Dairy free and Gluten free.
|Olivani spread (for greasing)|
|2 large or 3 small Oranges, washed|
|125g Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa or more - Whittakers Dark Ghana is good)|
|250g Ground Almonds|
|1 teaspoon Baking Powder|
|1. Place the oranges in a saucepan and fill with water to halfway up the oranges. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for two hours. Drain, cool, then cut open and remove the pips. Blend to a pulp in the food processor.
2. Butter and line a 23cm cake tin with a removable base.
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
4. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water or in the microwave. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl beat the eggs. While beating, add the melted chocolate, orange pulp, almonds, sugar and baking powder. Mix well and pour into the prepared tin.
6. Bake for 1 hour until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin before carefully turning out.
Help New Zealand get cooking is an ongoing Stuff Nation assignment. To contribute hit the green button.
View all contributions
Are you a fan of The Bachelor NZ?Related story: (See story)