Sponsored content by
Changing booze culture: Let's do what works
Opinions on how to change our booze culture are many but they don't get us very far. We need to approach our binge drinking in a scientific way.
There is a wealth of research, both overseas and here, which spells out clearly the policies that work.
The policies which have been shown to be effective include:
* Increased alcohol taxation with a minimum price per unit of alcohol to control cheap drinks aimed at teenagers (also known in the industry as recruiting drinks).
* Raising the purchase age.
* Regulating availability: No alcohol in supermarkets, etc
* Lowering blood alcohol levels for drivers and controlling drink-driving.
* Banning advertising and marketing of alcohol.
The above measures have been identified by the World Health Organisation as being the most effective in controlling harmful drinking.
View all contributions