Changing booze culture: Let's do what works
Opinions on how to change our booze culture are many but they don't get us very far. We need to approach our binge drinking in a scientific way.
There is a wealth of research, both overseas and here, which spells out clearly the policies that work.
The policies which have been shown to be effective include:
* Increased alcohol taxation with a minimum price per unit of alcohol to control cheap drinks aimed at teenagers (also known in the industry as recruiting drinks).
* Raising the purchase age.
* Regulating availability: No alcohol in supermarkets, etc
* Lowering blood alcohol levels for drivers and controlling drink-driving.
* Banning advertising and marketing of alcohol.
The above measures have been identified by the World Health Organisation as being the most effective in controlling harmful drinking.
View all contributions
Have you tried online dating?Related story: (See story)