Help get NZ cooking: Curried sausages
This is an old family favourite used when times were tough.
This is for 500g amounts, add extra of the other ingredients if you're using more than 500g of sausages. Basically, use whatever your family prefers.
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon chicken stock
1 carrot, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1. Put the sausages into a pot and gently blanche them. Drain and let them cool a bit.
2. Peel the skins off the sausages and then chop them in to pieces.
3. Put the water, stock, sauce, vinegar, butter, sugar and curry powder in to a pot. Mix well.
4. Add the carrots, onion and sausages and cook gently for approximately 45 minutes. Taste the sauce and see if you need more of anything (except vinegar). You might like to add some salt to taste.
5. Thicken the sauce if it is needed with a bit of cornflour mixed with a little water.
Serve with rice or noodles and anything else you like such as broccoli or beans.
Help New Zealand get cooking is an ongoing Stuff Nation assignment. To contribute hit the green button.
View all contributions