Get NZ Cooking: Baked ricotta cake
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Baking|
|Cooking time||1 - 2 hours|
This is an amazingly simple, delicious treat, given to me by one of my Italian work colleagues. It was her Nonna's and I had to twist her arm to get the recipe.
Nonna Maria's Baked Ricotta Cake
|1 pack madeira (plain) cake mix (White Wings or similar)|
|1kg full cream ricotta cheese ... I haven't tried with the low fat variety|
|4-5 eggs depending on size of the eggs|
|3/4 cup caster sugar|
|1 tsp vanilla essence|
|Cinnamon to sprinkle on top when baked|
1. In a bowl, mix the cake batter as per packet instructions.
2. In a larger bowl, mix all the ricotta and other ingredients, don’t make it too smooth.
3. Then...put all of the cake mixture into a 22cm x 32cm (approx) greased baking pan.
4. Gently and evenly spoon the ricotta mixture all over the top of the cake batter until it is all used. The ricotta will settle down through the batter as the cake is baked.
5. Bake in a moderate oven for approx one hour and 10 minutes. Start testing it at about 55 minutes or so. It takes from 55 minutes to a little over an hour to cook depending on the kind of pan and the temperature of the oven.
6. When it is cooked, cool for about 10 minutes. The top will not be browned, and you can pop under a grill for a short time, but the cinnamon sprinkle should be enough.
You do not have to remove from the pan, you can refrigerate for at least one hour, and then serve right from the pan. But I like to have some warm ... very yummy.
Very nice with peaches and ice cream and/or a strong black coffee.
View all contributions
Which reader's plan would you support?Related story: (See story)