Marmite, chocolate and beer chilli
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Mexican|
|Cooking time||1 - 2 hours|
|1 x 420g tin kidney beans|
|60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil|
|500 g minced beef|
|2 chorizo, cut into 1cm pieces|
|500g pork mince|
|2 x onion, finely diced|
|1 x carrot finely diced|
|1 stick celery finely diced|
|2 cloves garlic, finely diced|
|1 x each red capsicum finely diced and green capsicum finely diced|
|1-2 fresh chilli finely chopped|
|375ml dark beer, a stout like Guinness|
|200ml beef stock|
|1 x 420g tin can diced tomatoes|
|2 tbsp Marmite|
|2 tbsp tomato paste|
|50 gm dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids), coarsely chopped|
|2 tbsp dried oregano|
|1 tbsp ground coriander|
|3 tsp ground cumin|
|1 tsp paprika|
|To taste: ground chilli powder|
|1/2 cup (loosely packed) coriander leaves|
|1 x vine-ripened tomato, seeds removed and finely chopped|
|3 x avocado mashed|
|1/2 red onion finely minced|
|1 small green chilli finely chopped|
|1 clove of garlic, finely chopped|
|2 tbsp finely chopped coriander|
|1 tbsp lime juice|
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and cook mince, breaking up with the back of a spoon, for five minutes or until brown, transfer to a plate.
2. Add 1 tbsp oil to saucepan, add chorizo and cook for two minutes or until starting to brown, then add to mince.
3. Add remaining olive oil to pan, add onions, capsicum, celery, carrot garlic and chillies and cook for five minutes or until soft. Add tomato paste and Marmite and fry off for one minute.
4. Return meat to pan with beer, stock, tomatoes, chocolate, oregano and spices, season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and ground chilli.
5. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for one hour. Add beans and cook for another 20 minutes or until sauce is thick. Adjust seasoning and chilli heat, to taste.
6. Before serving, make guacamole by combining all ingredients and season to taste.
7. Scatter chilli con carne with coriander, and serve with guacamole, tortillas or corn chips, sour cream, grated cheese and lime wedges to the side.
View all contributions
Which reader's plan would you support?Related story: (See story)