Ultimate BBQ recipes: Cheap and delicious
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Barbecue|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
Tim Newtown-Howes shares his favourite recipe for the BBQ.
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
|1/4 cup canola oil|
|2 tablespoons garlic, chopped|
|2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh|
|1kg skirt steak, trimmed|
|For the meat seasoning:|
|2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tablespoon salt|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon paprika|
|1/2 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1/2 teaspoon onion powder|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1/4 teaspoon ground cumin|
1. In a small bowl, stir together the pepper, salt, cinnamon, paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin to make the meat seasoning.
2. Store the seasoning in a lidded glass container or zipped plastic bag in a cool, dark place for up to one month until you need to use it.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, seasoning, garlic, and lemon juice.
4. Rub the mixture on both sides of the meat, making sure to work it into the meat.
5. Let the meat marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 45 minutes (if the day is very hot, don't leave the meat out for longer than 30 minutes).
6. Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal or gas grill and oil the grill grates.
7. Grill the steak for three to five minutes on each side, until done to your preference. Let the steaks rest for five minutes before slicing to serve.
View all contributions
Are you a fan of Paul Henry's new show?Related story: (See story)