'Hi mate, I'm your Mum'

Last updated 05:00 27/10/2012
HAPPY TO MEET YOU: Baby Monty and his mum smile at the medical team.

Relevant offers

A labour of love

Labour of love: I feel like I 'failed' Labour of love: Panic in the delivery room Labour of love: 'You want to be like a cow?' Two babies, one chance at life Labour of love: He wasn't breathing Labour of love: The 670 gram baby Labour of love: An unexpected monster Labour of love: When Murphy's Law strikes birth Labour of love: Home birth minus the midwife Labour of love: My unplanned home birth

Three is my favourite number. When I was scheduled for an induction for our first baby on May 3 this year, I saw it as a good omen.

It was a Thursday and my husband and I arrived early, suitcase in tow, at the delivery suite at Wellington Hospital. On meeting the midwife assigned to me that morning, she assured us that at the end of it all we'd be getting a baby.

The midwife began the induction process with a cervical ripening agent to dilate my cervix enough so that my waters could be artificially ruptured.

Of all the days of the year, the touchpad on my smartphone decided to stop working. Frustrated trying to reply to texts and missed calls, I was on my elbows bent over the end of the bed, trying to work the damn thing while my husband rubbed my lower back. As my cursing reached its peak, I felt a pop and a warm gush as my waters broke naturally. I was really excited, I told my hubby, "He's coming! The baby's coming, darling!".

After over 12 hours of labour, our son was born by emergency caesarean section early the next morning at 1.09am, Friday 4 May, 2012. During the pushing stage of labour bubs was getting distressed. I thought that if my head was lodged in someone else's pelvis, I'd be a bit distressed too!

Lying in the operating theatre, it felt like an eternity waiting for my son to be born. Until the moment they held him up over the surgical sheet for me to see, I never quite believed that a baby was going to come out of me. I gasped 'Oh my God!' in astonishment when I first saw him.

Reassuringly, my son cried as he was being pulled out, and continued to cry for a few minutes afterwards. Then he went quiet.

While he was being cleaned up, weighed and measured, the midwife commented on his beautiful skin and I let her in on my secret – that I chomped through half a kilogram of almonds a week during the last two months of my pregnancy.

The midwife wrapped him in warm towels and lay him down beside me. My son went quiet, he looked around, probably felt as buggered as I did, so we just nuzzled cheek to cheek.

So exhausted, I could only whisper, "Hi mate, how's it going? I'm your mum."

He had that sweet newborn baby smell and the sight and feel of him for the first time was truly intoxicating.

View all contributions
Ad Feedback


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content