A labour of love: Double trouble for mum

Last updated 09:30 01/11/2012
SNOOZE TIME: Paige on the left, Mackenzie on the right.

SNOOZE TIME: Paige on the left, Mackenzie on the right.

Related Links

Share your labour tales: It was worth every minute Share your labour tales: A galling time Share your labour tales: No nest time

Relevant offers

A labour of love

Labour of love: I feel like I 'failed' Labour of love: Panic in the delivery room Labour of love: 'You want to be like a cow?' Two babies, one chance at life Labour of love: He wasn't breathing Labour of love: The 670 gram baby Labour of love: An unexpected monster Labour of love: When Murphy's Law strikes birth Labour of love: Home birth minus the midwife Labour of love: My unplanned home birth

At 38 weeks pregnant with twins, I was feeling over it.

I had suffered from morning sickness every day for eight months, and the heart burn had become unbearable.

I went for my 36 week check with my obstetrician (OB) and begged her to induce me.

She advised we had to wait a week as they could only book inductions a week ahead. So I rang my midwife at 37 weeks, exactly, and asked her to book us in.

On Thursday October 18 we arrived at Auckland Hospital's assessment centre and were admitted.

At 7:30pm I had my first lot of gel to get things going. By 6am nothing had happened.

So the OB gave me my 2nd lot of Gel. At 10:20am my waters broke spontaneously, but that was it... there was no pain.

I felt I could run a marathon if it wasn't for the leaking fluid.

I got excited, thinking I actually had a high pain tolerance and that labour was going to be a breeze. How wrong I was.

At 2pm we were taken to the delivery unit, and by 3pm the epidural had been cited and the synotocin was being fed into me as I was only 1cm dialated.

Unfortunatly the epidural only numbed one side, so the anaesthetist was called back to do it a second time at about 10pm as the pain was just unbearable. This seemed to do the trick and I got about five hours sleep. At 3am the pain was back. The midwife checked me and I was only 5cm dialated.

So the anaesthetist was called back to do the epidural a third time. This time it didn't work at all. So the only pain relief I had was gas and air - given I had a synotocin drip I was in an incredible amount of pain.

When the anaesthetist came back about 10 minutes later to check the epidural I tried to convince him that if he gave me a full epidural, so I could have a c-section, I would trade him one of my twins.

This was unsuccessful. However, I kept asking anyone who came in the room if I could have one.

By 9am I was 9.5cm dialated and experiencing the worst pain in my life. Between every contraction I was pleading with the two OBs to give me a c-section - again, unsuccessful.

With every contraction I felt my babies' heads move lower and lower and the need to push became more intense.

I started pushing at 9:30am and my first baby was born at 11:25am.
When I held her in my arms it was the most surreal moment I have had. I looked her over quickly and fell in love completely. We named her Paige. I handed my baby over to her daddy, as I had an urgent need to push number two out.

But I was trying to avoid pushing, as I knew the pain caused by the first baby and in my head there was no way I was going through that again. A couple more contractions and 50 minutes later (i was refusing to push!) Mackenzie was born at 12:11pm (it was now October 20.)

Ad Feedback

It was certainly an experience that is going to take a while to forget, but holding my two gorgeous girls in my arms, it was worth every second, and I wouldn't change a thing! I have finally found what true love really means and being a mum is by far the best job in the world!

View all contributions
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content