When pushing isn't an option

Last updated 05:00 23/11/2012

Relevant offers

A labour of love

Labour of love: I feel like I 'failed' Labour of love: Panic in the delivery room Labour of love: 'You want to be like a cow?' Two babies, one chance at life Labour of love: He wasn't breathing Labour of love: The 670 gram baby Labour of love: An unexpected monster Labour of love: When Murphy's Law strikes birth Labour of love: Home birth minus the midwife Labour of love: My unplanned home birth

While I was pregnant with my now 27-year-old son, I grew very quickly in the first five or six months of my pregnancy, so my doctor decided that I should also have a gynaecologist as I am a very small, short lady (5ft 1in) in height.

After having a scan at around 30 weeks or so, it appeared that my son was literally standing up inside me, with his feet down the bottom and his head was up under my ribs, so no wonder I was uncomfortable while sitting down.

My doctor did try and turn him but he decided, "nope, I am staying in this position because I am comfortable". We also discovered at my scan that I have a weird-shaped pelvis and there would have been no way for me to deliver my baby naturally, so with discussions with my GP and gynaecologist we decided to go with a caesarean section under epidural which sounded scary but fun.

My husband and I then were told that our little bundle of joy would be born on his due date of delivery which was fine with both of us. I had to admit myself to the hospital in the afternoon the day before he was due. We duly arrived at the hospital by the due time only to be greeted with, "you will have to wait for a bed". Then some four or so hours later I was given a bed and then it was all on from there.

After a very restless sleep due to excitement and anticipation as an expectant mother, the day arrived pouring with rain, but after being prepared for theatre around an hour before baby was due, we headed off to the delivery suite to have our baby. He (we did not know what sex the baby was) was safely delivered by caesarean section at 8.30am.

Finally, after getting back to the ward and safe in the knowledge that we were now a family of three, I looked out the window and the sun was shining and was like that for the rest of the 14 days I had to stay in hospital. Back in 1985 you could stay in hospital up to 14 days no problem and with having a caesarean section was better for my recovery.

I have over the years, laughed, cried, smiled and generally loved having my son; however, I did also go on to have two more children but they are separate labour tales.

I will and have never ever regretted having my children via caesarean section. While I did feel a bit guilty of not having a natural delivery with them all, I know deep down that for my own safety and their safe arrival I chose the best way to have them.

View all contributions
Ad Feedback


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content