Labour of love: An unexpected monster

Last updated 09:48 14/02/2013

BIG BUB: 11.5 pounds, happy and healthy.

Related Links

Share your labour of love Share you labour tales: My labour of love A labour of love: Double trouble for mum Labour of love: A broken heart with no cure Labour of love: Born in 33 minutes Labour of love: My unplanned home birth Labour of love: The day I became a dad Labour of love: All about the family Labour of love: Home birth minus the midwife Labour of love: When Murphy's Law strikes birth

Relevant offers

A labour of love

Labour of love: I feel like I 'failed' Labour of love: Panic in the delivery room Labour of love: 'You want to be like a cow?' Two babies, one chance at life Labour of love: He wasn't breathing Labour of love: The 670 gram baby Labour of love: An unexpected monster Labour of love: When Murphy's Law strikes birth Labour of love: Home birth minus the midwife Labour of love: My unplanned home birth

During the latter stage of my pregnancy I had extra ultrasound scans due to minor concerns and they all revealed nothing abnormal.

I was one week overdue when I started to feel uncomfortable. I needed to pee every five mins but since I was getting used to a very active baby inside me, I was not to concerned.

I had a midwife appointment scheduled the next morning for 10am and to my surprise I was told my waters had already broken and I was technically in labour.

I was told to be at hospital 1pm that day, and was given an epidural within a few hours of arriving. Up until then, I had experienced very little pain from contractions, and after the epidural, I had no pain at all, except for the waiting.

I arrived at the hospital at 1pm and by 6am next morning I was still only 5cm dilated and a decision was made to do a c-section. So I was taken from the quiet, calm hospital room where I had been for 18 hours in to theatre for surgery.

The experience was frightening - being awake and being able to watch and hear what was going on. The scene was chaotic and frantic, and soon it was clear there was something wrong - a panic was in the air and I was stressing.

Due to this unexpected 'complication' and my increased stressed I was given a huge cocktail of drugs so by the time they got the baby out I was incoherent and vomiting.

I did however hear the doctor say that was the biggest baby they had ever delivered and I was soon informed that I had given birth to an 11.5 pound baby boy who was completely healthy.

It was definitely an experience like nothing I could have prepared for!


Due to the sensitive nature of this story, the author's name has been withheld.

View all contributions
Ad Feedback


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content