If I was Prime Minister: 10 things I'd change
Readers' Reports - If I was Prime Minister I would...
If I was made Prime Minister of New Zealand, the very first things on my agenda would include:
1. A complete open and transparent investigation in to the consultants and advisers processes and procedures. followed by the tendering processes.
2. A complete review of the Justice system and legislation on crimes and punishment.
3. A complete review of Parliamentary salaries, perks, expenditure and running costs funded by the taxpayer.
4. A complete review of the lobbying ability of big business and interest groups to parliament and ministers.
5. Introduction of a transparent and functional referendum system where voices can be heard.
6. A commission review of Kiwishare, New Zealand asset ownership and an investigation into governmental rights to dispose of assets without public consent.
7. A complete review of the police, defence forces, security, border patrol, customs and special forces to ensure the needs of the public are met in full.
8. A complete review of the taxation and health systems to ensure fairness and public benefit.
9. A review of the MMP system and proper fully informed public referendum.
10. A review of currently nationalised and privatised industries.
This would be where I would start anyway.
For full coverage of politics in New Zealand, see our politics section.
View all contributions