Top 10 sports highlights of 2013
Share your news and views
Wow, what a year it has been. There were so many great sporting moments in 2013 to choose from. There have been some great dynasties continued and some huge upsets and records set.
I have come up with a list of the top 10 sporting moments of 2013.
10. Red Sox world champs: Who would have thought this at the end of last year after such a dismal season in 2012? The Red Sox could only dream to win a World Series. This makes my top ten not only because I am a Red Sox supporter but of how close the series was.
9. Team Oracle's great escape: I know New Zealand lost this and many people in this country will not have it in their top ten, but this has to be the greatest sporting comeback of the year. From 8-1 down with the odds stacked against them, somehow team Oracle came back and won. Sure, if it wasn't for time restrictions Team NZ would have won it earlier, but you have got to give credit where it's due.
8. All Black Sevens world champions and world series winners: They are one of the most successful teams of all time and quite frankly deserve to be in my top 10 of greatest sporting moments. Well done on winning 11 world series titles and being world champs in both men's and women's tournaments.
7. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon: Love or hate him his achievements can't be underdone after becoming the first male British-born tennis player to win Wimbledon since Fred Perry in 1936.
6. Canterbury winning six from six: They surely have to be recognised as one of the best rugby teams ever. Not many can say they can win six titles straight and I hope it continues.
5. Lauren Boyle: Swimming doesn't get recognised as much as it should and Lauren Boyle winning three medals at the Fina World Championships in Spain deserves to get a bit of limelight.
4. Chiefs winning back to back: I am no Chiefs supporter but they deserved it this time around. Next year I'm sure will be a different story.
3. The Breakers threepeat: The Aussies don't like the Kiwis winning, particularly in their own turf. The way The Breakers conducted themselves throughout the season was superb and I hope it can continue.
2. Queensland winning its eighth consecutive State of Origin: This has to be up there as one of the greatest sporting dynasties of all time. This generation of Queensland players is something special and I hope they win 10.
1. The Unbeatables: No surprises that the All Blacks are my number one. They were clearly the best sports side in the world this year with a winning percentage like none other. They had to endure so much competition, close encounters and produce magic moments to make it happen.
11. I'm gonna add this one in and make it a top 11... Counties deserve a mention for holding on to the shield.
View all contributions