Mouth-watering butterfish, al fresco
Ultimate Kiwi BBQ recipes
NEED TO KNOW
|Type of dish||Barbecue|
|Cooking time||<30 min|
|Special options||Low fat|
Spearfishing in Kaikoura is one of my favourite things. This recipe is best enjoyed with friends around the campfire and a couple of cold beers.
|Some more butter|
1. Freshly caught butterfish fillets are placed in a tinfoil package with butter, salt, pepper, lemon zest and vietnamese mint.
2. The package should not be too thick.
3. If feeding many you can make individual packages. Maybe make some more packages with potatoes stuffed with butter and pesto.
4. A fire is made on the rocky beach and the participants make their own seats from wood and rocks. Guitars and beer are good around this time.
5. When the fire has died down, throw on some tiny driftwood sticks which are wet from seawater, place a grill over the coals and cook the packages.
6. They should be loose enough to let in some smoke flavour. 10 minutes later, take the fish off, let cool for five minutes (time for one more beer) and eat straight from the foil plate.
View all contributions