My vote: Changes to tax key
What issues will get your vote?
We asked what issues would guide your vote at the coming general election and Jon Eriksen responded with these:
1) Reduce GST to 12.5 per cent to improve affordability of education, housing and food.
2) Increase top tax rate to compensate for the loss of tax take from the GST decrease.
3) Increase minimum wage by CPI plus 2 per cent per annum for next 7-10 years. This will put more money into circulation, reduce demand for Working for Families and will and improve the morale of the low paid. It will not increase unemployment as all employers will be in the same competitive situation.
3) KiwiSaver becomes compulsory until age 60.
4) Introduce a capital gains tax on all property sales, including the family home (keep it simple).
5) Introduce a 15 per cent tax on purchases of property by non-residents.
6) All tax raised by CGT or non-resident property tax is invested with NZ Superannuation Fund (Cullen Fund).
7) Staff employed for less than 37.5 hours a week have a 30 per cent loading on their hourly rate.
8) Introduce penal rates with time and half paid after four hours work on a Saturday, with double time on a Sunday.
To share your thoughts on election issues for your situation, hit the press button below.
View all contributions